Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Tire Pressure for new tires on the road?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Tire Pressure for new tires on the road?

Okay, I got my 5 Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 LT265/70R17E1 121Q B Tires in. going to get them put on Saturday morning hopefully. Also ordered the AEV procal and some locking lugs.

Question... for those running this tire, what is your DD tire pressure you are using on the road (and what do you typically run off)?

BTW, these are some manly tires... man they are gonna look good on my ride. Just need to get the front lift done (will wait until I am sure the tires are on right and balanced right before doing that) and move my exhaust and I'm good for next season... finally.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

for 265's, i would probably say about 32 psi. but, every tire is a bit different and a chalk test will verify where you want yours to be. too much more than that and your ride will be harsh and your tires will wear out down the center.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
for 265's, i would probably say about 32 psi. but, every tire is a bit different and a chalk test will verify where you want yours to be. too much more than that and your ride will be harsh and your tires will wear out down the center.

...I would agree 100%! The chalk test is the best way to figure out your ideal pressure to run on the street.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never heard of it, looked it up, good info. I kinda knew about the card test, but this may be best.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got em on and man they rock. These Kumhos are great looking and ride just as good as they look! We are in the middle of a 14 - 24 inch snow fall here and I was just out in 3 inches of unplowed snow on the roads and it felt like I was stuck to the road with glue. Couldn't hardly get it out of shape and once I forced her to slide it just needed minor steering corrections to get back on line.

Going to play with tire pressure tommorrow and try and get that settled in. I requested they get em filled to 32psi but havn't checked.

These are M/T tires? Not if you listen. Over 3 or 4mph they are just as quite as my SRAs were (and I'm in a soft top). Get under 3 or 4 though and you do hear em and feel em a bit, but not in a bad way and who cares, right?

The guys at the tire shop (Pep Boys) were all asking me questions about em, especially a jeep owner. The doo look great on there, and at least intitially they ride great too.

As for them being e rated... well, they are stiffer, but you really don't notice it, even over some serious undulations or pot holes. In fact, I rather like that over the relatively soft c rated SRAs that were on there.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Use you judgment; better than the chalk test
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Use you judgment; better than the chalk test
Your judgement could wear down your tires and cause a harsh ride.

Do the chalk test and call it a day.

Quick Reply: What Tire Pressure for new tires on the road?