Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is this sound?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nope. you shoulda' heard it when i turned the wheel back and forth after that pop...man, scary...
Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like maybe you flixed you upper or lower control arms when you went into that rut. If you had a broken axle shaft you would have heard noises when you went through that last mud run spinning your tires. Doubt if you got a broken axle. Just sounded like typical flex noise like a bolt rubbing on something. Also check you track bar connections and brackets (Front and Rear) and make sure they are not cracked.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the dealer didn't find anything. I guess I just never realized how much noise the suspension can make. thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a sway bar link. When they are connected at flex. If you had them disconnected, maybe it rubbed on something.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

broke an axle shaft????? are you kidding me?

sounds like that rock just dinged the differential or a control arm was just tweaked a bit..

take your jeep on some rocks and you'll hear a lot more of that..nothing to be worried about.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
broke an axle shaft????? are you kidding me?

sounds like that rock just dinged the differential or a control arm was just tweaked a bit..

take your jeep on some rocks and you'll hear a lot more of that..nothing to be worried about.
Thats kinda what I was thinking too. added my 2cents cause the sway bar links is usually the sound you hear the most when wheeling.

Quick Reply: What is this sound?