Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What size lift should I get?

Old 09-18-2020, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size lift should I get?

So I am thinking about getting a Rubicon Express lift kit, just not sure what size I should get...I am planning on running 315/70/17. I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door. I was thinking of 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stock flares? Chopping the stock flares to increase clearance? Flat flares?

2.5" with flat flares (or chopped stock flares) is common. 3.5" might be better with uncut stock flares. You also need to consider the actual lift height you might receive with your current build, (plastic vs steel bumpers, winch, armor, gear, hard top vs soft, etc, etc.), and the difference between coils from the various mfgs, (there could be an inch or more of measured height difference between coils even though they state the same number - based on your build).

Why Rubicon Express? It was recommended by the counter guy at your local 4WP?

Have you actually looked at the components in the various lift kits to see what is, or is not, included? And if a particular kit does not include a specific component, do you have thoughts on whether you should actually buy and install it? Or are you just taking it on faith that everything you will want/need is there...

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Is it the price point of the Rubicon Express lift that is drawing you in?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Remember "the odor of low quality remains long after the joy of low prices are forgotten"

If you are planning on keeping the Jeep then go with what nthinuf said technically and buy high quality.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I went with the Mopar 2" lift kit which worked out a bit higher than 2" on my 2011 JK. Running 315/70 17 BFG KO2's and am happy with this combination. Also the crate burned well...

Agree with nthinuf, there are a lot of kits out there with a confusing array of components, the Mopar kit for the 2012 also comes with a 1310 Double Cardin front drive shaft. Mine didn't so wonder if they felt that this might be a weak link with the more powerful 3.6 vs my 3.8.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll jump in here as well, Like others have said, look at what is included with the kit and compare it to others and make the purchase based on what your price point is.

Lastly it depends on what you plan on doing with your JK. If it's simply a DD, and you're going for looks alone, then perhaps one of the less expensive kits will work for you.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Niteshooter
Also the crate burned well...
You do know how much those creates go for, right? I drove roughly an hour and paid $50 for one....maybe I'm the fool? It currently sits in my living room
Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DV8 flat fender flares slim with maximum clearance. I have after market bumpers and a winch with an aftermarket tire carrier. . But yeah the guy at my 4WP told me to get the RE7123 because my Jeep is my daily driver and I occasionally do go off-roading but not too extreme just like trails and fire roads. Not rock crawling.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You do know how much those creates go for, right? I drove roughly an hour and paid $50 for one....maybe I'm the fool? It currently sits in my living room
Really? I did give the one good side to my mechanic because he wanted to put it up on the wall.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobGeha
I have the DV8 flat fender flares slim with maximum clearance. I have after market bumpers and a winch with an aftermarket tire carrier. . But yeah the guy at my 4WP told me to get the RE7123 because my Jeep is my daily driver and I occasionally do go off-roading but not too extreme just like trails and fire roads. Not rock crawling.
RE could be perfectly fine for your needs. My viewpoint is simply from being one of the people caught in the trap of: TA owns both RE and 4WP, so the front desk guys at 4WP are told to push RE products instead of suggesting other brands that might be a better fit for a customers needs.

Not to talk you out of spending your money or anything, but with those flares, you don't need a 3.5" kit with a full set of arms. You are looking at quite an outlay of cash on this. $1700 for that lift. Plus shocks. Plus a draglink flip (likely you will want it at that height, not mandatory). Plus a front driveshaft (not an immediate need, but you noticed the blurb in the lift description telling you that, right? Definitely check for grease splatter so you know when it is time to replace!!). And since you have a 2door, check on that rear driveshaft as well. It adds up quick.

From your stated use, a quality 2.5" lift with a set of CA brackets or a single set of arms up front (instead of a full set of 8 arms) should work just fine. No need for the draglink flip at this height, and a lower chance of needing one or both driveshafts. Just an opinion, but you'll be better off going this route. If you are open to other mfg's, check out both Synergy and Metalcloak. And a lot of folks give good feedback on AEV's 2.5" lifts.

Quick Reply: What size lift should I get?