Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What size compressor do most of you use for your Jeep ? HP, Tank, Max PSI

Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What size compressor do most of you use for your Jeep ? HP, Tank, Max PSI

Pretty much what the title says. Just looking at getting a home set up going to make my life a whole lot easier. I've already installed everything on my Jeep with hand tools, besides the gears. Just looking to make my life a bit easier when doing so in the future.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to look at the tools you intend to use and buy a compressor based on that. Typically two numbers to look at. CFM & PSI.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
You need to look at the tools you intend to use and buy a compressor based on that. Typically two numbers to look at. CFM & PSI.
Well for working on the suspension and most of the stuff from the frame below, I wouldn't imagine I would need anything over a 1/2 impact.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Well for working on the suspension and most of the stuff from the frame below, I wouldn't imagine I would need anything over a 1/2 impact.
size of the impact is irrelevant. It's all about the air flow. From there, tank size will save your compressor motor.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tractor Supply Co. has a 60 gallon Porta-Cable 240V compressor for only $480. It's a great piece of equipment for the garage.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

If you're only going to use an impact, I would suggest cordless. A thread was started a couple of days ago about the very subject.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...wrench-318867/
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
size of the impact is irrelevant. It's all about the air flow. From there, tank size will save your compressor motor.
^^^^ this.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with what they say above.

I have an older model of this one.

Craftsman 33 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor: Portability from Sears

Although it does work for my air tools, I wouldn't recommend it because of noise. It is pretty loud. I bought it over 10 years and didn't really take the time to research. So don't get a single cylinder oilers compressor like this if you don't want to wear hearing protection while using it. It probably would be okay if it was in a separate room from where you are working or if it was in the corner of a large garage. In my two car garage, it is too loud to use without hearing protection IMHO.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by n3tfury
If you're only going to use an impact, I would suggest cordless. A thread was started a couple of days ago about the very subject.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...wrench-318867/
Yeah I saw that thread as well. My buddy had a cordless impact, that thing could hardly break free control arm bolts, trackbar bolts, and battery died fast. Ill have to ask which one he has and stay away from it.

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Tractor Supply Co. has a 60 gallon Porta-Cable 240V compressor for only $480. It's a great piece of equipment for the garage.
Will check that out.

Originally Posted by azxr
I agree with what they say above.

I have an older model of this one.

Craftsman 33 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor: Portability from Sears

Although it does work for my air tools, I wouldn't recommend it because of noise. It is pretty loud. I bought it over 10 years and didn't really take the time to research. So don't get a single cylinder oilers compressor like this if you don't want to wear hearing protection while using it. It probably would be okay if it was in a separate room from where you are working or if it was in the corner of a large garage. In my two car garage, it is too loud to use without hearing protection IMHO.

Great info, thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same crazy loud compressor from sears as mentioned above. I put mine in an old cabinet with some Styrofoam on the door and its acceptable now. I have been using it quite a bit for many years but I also would not recommend it. you really want a nice 220 compressor if it is a lifetime investment.

Quick Reply: What size compressor do most of you use for your Jeep ? HP, Tank, Max PSI