Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What should I modify to make the steering more like stock?

Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I modify to make the steering more like stock?

I have a 2008 JK with 1 3/4 spacer lift and the matching longer shocks, and a 1.25 body lift, sitting on 35s. The shocks are relatively new ( 5K miles) and I threw on a fresh set of ball joints last week. ( The new ball joints improved some of the steering issues) The steering stabilizer is also relatively new ( less than 1 year old). The jeep steers OK in town, but at highway speeds it tends to get pulled easily by ruts and pavement seams in the road. (It does not get pulled to 1 side or the other on a flat smooth road.) Driving on the highway with only 1 hand on the wheel is tiresome and I commute about 94 miles a day, mostly highway.
Which of these mods should I be looking at next to make the steering more like stock?
- Pinion angle adjustment- Should I get adjustable LCAs or AEV geometry brackets to move the pinion angle back towards stock?
-Adjustable track bar- I'm running the stock track bar with no additional brackets, thus the axle is slightly off center.
- Would a toe-in adjustment help the handling?
-Something else?

Thanks.

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 04-27-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front lower adjustable CA's will help dial in your caster which should help the wandering when you hit road imperfections. Also you should check you toe in. A front adjustable track bar is always a good idea after lifting if your axle was displaced.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

At that small of a lift, stock track bars are fine. They won't help your steering. IMO, with only 1.75" lift control arms are a waste of money. I'd wager your toe is off a bit.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a set of correction brackets ( AEVor similar ) and set your toe in to 1/8" and your tire pressure to 28-30 psi.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget, just the tread pattern of the tire can be the cause of the following ruts or seems issue as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Measure your front tires off the frame to see how much your center of axle is off. Mine was 3/8" off and it was greatly improved with an adjustable track bar. Also have a friend help you wiggle your steering back & forth to look for play in your front end parts.

Quick Reply: What should I modify to make the steering more like stock?