Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Are you 2 or 4 door? What #s do you currently have? I'd be interested in you outcome. My JKU has 16 / 58 and curious what you will net out. Good luck
Kojack,

Any chance you've measured your current ride height with your set up? Meaning top of the spring bucket to centre of bottom shock bolt on the front, and too of bar pin to centre of bolt on the rears?

I may have a line on some Rubi coils, numbers unknown at this time.
Just trying to figure out what I would yield vs what I have now.

Front measures 19.25" and the rear is 20.25.

Sahara with 16 / 58 and TF spacer level kit and stock shocks. Rig has 138,000 km.

I recall seeing a diagrams on JKF that noted front ride height bone stock should be 18.5". To my thinking my stock cols have sagged and I'm only 3/4" above stock ride height.

Bumpers are all OEM.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Kojack,

Any chance you've measured your current ride height with your set up? Meaning top of the spring bucket to centre of bottom shock bolt on the front, and too of bar pin to centre of bolt on the rears?

I may have a line on some Rubi coils, numbers unknown at this time.
Just trying to figure out what I would yield vs what I have now.

Front measures 19.25" and the rear is 20.25.

Sahara with 16 / 58 and TF spacer level kit and stock shocks. Rig has 138,000 km.

I recall seeing a diagrams on JKF that noted front ride height bone stock should be 18.5". To my thinking my stock cols have sagged and I'm only 3/4" above stock ride height.

Bumpers are all OEM.

Cheers
sounds like you are sagged a bit. my 18/60 coils I am at 20.75" in front (I have a winch and front skid plate so close to 100lbs on a stock bumper) and I am 21" on back with a heavy rear spare. I am 20 5/8" in front and 21" in back measuring those same points. Mine is an AEV 2" kit but it consists of the same as 2" spacer for front and 1" for rear (actually thicker spacer but you remove the stock isolator so gives the same)

center of my front hub ie splitting the E's on Jeep to bottom of fender flares is just over 23" of front driver and 23" all others ie pass front and both rears.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
sounds like you are sagged a bit. my 18/60 coils I am at 20.75" in front (I have a winch and front skid plate so close to 100lbs on a stock bumper) and I am 21" on back with a heavy rear spare. I am 20 5/8" in front and 21" in back measuring those same points. Mine is an AEV 2" kit but it consists of the same as 2" spacer for front and 1" for rear (actually thicker spacer but you remove the stock isolator so gives the same) center of my front hub ie splitting the E's on Jeep to bottom of fender flares is just over 23" of front driver and 23" all others ie pass front and both rears.
Thanks for your post! Wow. So pasted on your numbers you posted above 20 5/8" front and 21" rear (measured were I did) I don't have a winch but do have the heavy full size spare.

This helps out a lot, I will invest the time to swap to Rubi coils with the understanding I should get bank to stock ride height (18.5")+2" spacer in front should get me to 20.5". Plus a stiffer coil and realize the Rubi coil is not taller then my Sahara OEM.

At the end of the day my Jeep will sit like a new Rubi with level kit, and I don't expect to match that of a 2.5" coil of course.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kojack
You heard correct, Im running the Monroe reflex monotube, my jeep rides great and handles awesome. I love them. only downside for other people is they do not make lift lengths only stock.
I second this. I am running Monroe Reflex on my stock Sahara and it rides wonderful and handles well off-road.

Quick Reply: What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?