Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What rock rails/steps to go with??

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rock rails/steps to go with??

I have decided the next mod will be rock rails/side steps for the JK. My only problem is a I have a long wishlist and don't want to spend a ton. Here is what I am looking for.

- Rock Rail that can take a beating and doesn't lower my ground clearance much
- Strong enough for a hi lift point
- Big enough step for the wife to not slip and kill herself on getting in
- Bolt on install preferred

Options I was looking at.

- Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards.- I like the look and the price but I have heard of fitment issues and not sure if they are stong enough for a hi lift point.
- Mopar Rubicon Rails with Poison Spyder or Gen Right steps welded on- Can pick up a set of rubicon rails local for $100 so this is a decent options too.
- ACE Rails- Installed on a buddies JK and they were very well made. Seem very strong. Only downside is the gap that is left if they are not ran with Rubicon rails. Also, they take away quite a bit of ground clearance.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are other options I am missing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are missing LOD sliders on your list for consideration. Probably stronger than any you mentioned above and has a flat top that can be used as a step. Been out for many years so its proven tough.

I've seen Smitty sliders get wrecked on rocks. I've seen Ace sliders dent the body when used in conjuction with Rubi rails (so if you go that route it's better to have the gap there). I've seen Rubi (Mopar) rails take a beating for what they are but also cause body damage when really put to the test.

A lot of people love the Evo which are frame mounted like the LOD sliders but they are welded, not bolted and don't really act like a step. But I wouldn't worry about bolt on vs. weld. Any good slider that is frame mounted will require drilling to bolt on so it may be easier and less time consuming to pay someone to weld them on. The LOD's are a PITA to install!

Also, have you looked at Shrockworks? Wait time is long but they are very nice.

I have always been told to look for frame mounted. So LOD, EVO and Shrockworks are definites. I "think" Ace are frame mounted but I can't remember.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

I like the weld on option if you can get the Rubicon take off's for a good deal.

Here is our weld on option.

Rusty's Add-On Rock-Sliders - 4-Door JK Wrangler - New Products
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Poison Spider Brawler Rockers

You mentioned Poison Spider, but only the step kit. Why not consider the Poison Spider JK Brawler Rockers? They have a nice step, are bolt on, and can take a real beating, but a little on the pricey side. I have been looking at the options myself and these are now on my Christmas list.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

I have the Smittybilt SRC Side Armor.

I had absolutely no problem installing them on my JK. Took maybe 15 min and once I was done had plenty of time left in the night to install an ARB Safari Snorkel on our XJ we have been building.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smittybilt_Rock_Sliders.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	392519

Name:	Jeep_JK_Rock_Sliders.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	392520

I have come down pretty hard on these rock sliders and only have a small dent in one of them.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the PSC rocker knockers. Install wasn't bad. Some drilling, great fit. Very strong, and work as a step. Will not take away from ground clearance.

Name:	2062620092-m.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	392552

Name:	2062627000-m.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	392553
Good luck
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked for this same combo for a while. Wife wants steps and I want a rocker/slider. I went with the JCR stage 2. Should be here in the next week. I will post pics when they are painted and installed.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mababcock
I looked for this same combo for a while. Wife wants steps and I want a rocker/slider. I went with the JCR stage 2. Should be here in the next week. I will post pics when they are painted and installed.
I went with the same thing, being close enough to pick up and the price really made my mind up. A close friend has the Psc ones and they are awesome and can take a beating.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AFC29JK
I have decided the next mod will be rock rails/side steps for the JK. My only problem is a I have a long wishlist and don't want to spend a ton. Here is what I am looking for.

- Rock Rail that can take a beating and doesn't lower my ground clearance much
- Strong enough for a hi lift point
- Big enough step for the wife to not slip and kill herself on getting in
- Bolt on install preferred

Options I was looking at.

- Smittybilt SRC Rocker Guards.- I like the look and the price but I have heard of fitment issues and not sure if they are stong enough for a hi lift point.
- Mopar Rubicon Rails with Poison Spyder or Gen Right steps welded on- Can pick up a set of rubicon rails local for $100 so this is a decent options too.
- ACE Rails- Installed on a buddies JK and they were very well made. Seem very strong. Only downside is the gap that is left if they are not ran with Rubicon rails. Also, they take away quite a bit of ground clearance.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are other options I am missing.
I have Hanson. There tuff and a nice step.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-211537121.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	392568   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-450031430.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	392569   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-517991958.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	392570  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ace. They don't take ground clearance. At no point are they lower than the frame.

Quick Reply: What rock rails/steps to go with??