Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which programer?
AEV
50.00%
Superchips
25.00%
Hypertech
18.75%
Procomp
6.25%
Other...if there is.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

What recalibrator?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What recalibrator?

I have new tires and will be re-gearing sometime and was wondering what is the best programer for the buck?

Let me know what you guys picked and why.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If cost is a major consideration, tough to beat the AEV ($130 shipped). Mine did exactly what I needed (tire size, got auto tranny back in line). If you're looking for a little more gusto, then you will need to pay up for one of the true "power programmers".
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're looking at 200 bones difference between a ProCal and a Flashpaq. Weigh the differences in the feature set and find out if the cost/value of those additional features make sense for you. For me the extra feature set of the Flashpaq made sense as I definitely wanted a little extra power, knew what Superchips had delivered on my other vehicle in terms of efficiency and then data acquisition so I could look at some engine parameters that aren't covered by the JKs anemic gauge set. For automatic owners I think the benefits are even greater with optimizing shift points and firmness as opposed to getting them back to the stock shift points with a tire and gear swap.

So for me, the Flashpaq was well worth it and you'll need to take a look at what it brings for your needs and wants for that extra $200.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to add to what JPop said. The AEV ProCal is a great tool. The SuperChips is a great tool set. The ProCal is exactly what it say, a calibrater. It can adjust for tire size, gear ratio, and adjust the intrumentation.

The SuperChips can actually retune the engine for a variety of peramiters. Sure the ProCal is great for tires. But what if you add a CAI and exhaust later? What if you want a set of more agressive shift points?

The SuperChips does more than just change a couple of variables on the Jeeps computer. It can actually reprogram it to be more efficent, deliver more power, and get better milage than factory tuning.

What's really sold me on the Flashpaq is this. If you buy the ProCal, it binds to the Jeeps vin number. That means you can never sell it to anyone else if you decide to upgrade to the Flashpaq.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been looking at the Superchips for the extra power. I have a CAI and aftermarket exhaust and a 6 spd. Was there a noticble power gain with the superchips?

Quick Reply: What recalibrator?