Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What the? Rear axle is off center by .500!!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the? Rear axle is off center by .500!!

I installed a 1.75" Daystar/Pro-Comp lift a couple weeks ago, I'm sure many of you have seen the pics...

Well, last night I decided to install some Teraflex 1.25" wheel spacers to give my Jeep a wider stance. I finished the install and while I was admiring the nice look of the wider stance I noticed the right rear tire was sticking out considerably more than the left, so I took a measurment. It turns out that the right rear is sticking out by more than a 1/2" than the left!!! I took this measurment after a 10 mile drive to let everything center too.

I decided I better check the front too, so I measured it and it was only off by .200".

How can such a small lift change the centering of the axle so much??? I do remember after installing the rear 1.75" polyurethane spacers I had to really push the axle over to the right to get the track bar reconnected.

I didn't notice it after just the lift because the tires were still sitting inside the fender flares, but now it is very noticable because they sit flush, or just a little bit outside the flares.

I guess I will order adjustable track bars to recenter everything. I was thinking Teraflex, but I'm not sure why they have to adjustable ends...? Seems kinda strange.

Any comments or suggestions.......?

husky~
Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, you did lift your Jeep and unless you address your track bar, your axle will have nowhere to go but over to the side it is attached to the frame. In the rear, you will be fine with a relocation bracket but up front, you'll want to make sure that it's on center and on good as your front axle also controls your steering. Need I say, you'll want an adjustable track bar here. If the front is off, loose or otherwise, you could get things a mild as tracking down the road to something as serious as death wobble.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Wayoflife,

How did yours turn out with your Teraflex 2.50" lift??

I read your write-up and saw you used a ratcheted tie-down to pull your axle over to get your rear track bar reconnected.

Have you taken a measurement to see how off-center your axles are?

Thanks,
husky~
Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i know on tj's you can recenter by redrilling the hole for the tracbar in the front . .. i didn't look at my jk's to see if it ws the same.
Yes, on some TJ kits, part of the installation was to relocate the axle mount hole 9/16" over toward the driver side of your Jeep. But in my opinion, this was a bad idea as you would compromise the strenght of the mount. Need I say, I would NOT recommend this on a TJ and I certainly would not recommend this on a JK especially since there isn't a whole lot of bracket to work with in the first place.

Quick Reply: What the? Rear axle is off center by .500!!