Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What programmer or chip are you running?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I hate to disparage the product because I haven't run premium, which is purported to give a bigger boost. But, when I installed the Hypertech software I didn't tell my son, Curtis. I then let him drive the JK and, after a bit, asked him if he noticed anything different. He drove further trying to figure out what had changed, and I finally had to tell him. Then he felt that, yeah, maybe there was a smidgen more power. I also have one grade I drive regularly that I previously downshifted one gear lower than I usually do now. Not exactly a resounding endorsement, is it?

That's a good answer, thanks. I think too, that it depends on the Jeep and HOW the owner has driven it and broken it in. I wasn't trying to say that the Hypertech wasn't worth the money...maybe that was a bad choice of words. Maybe I should have said something like "it COULD have a greater impact". How bout that? LOL Also, does the Hypertech unit's instructions say that if you take the Jeep in for service, that you need to reprogram back to stock? I know with the diesel programmers, you're supposed to do that, or it will fry the ECM if the dealer tries upgrade the ECM with a new flash while the aftermarket programmer is still installed. I've actually seen that happen to a Dodge Cummins truck. Had to have a brand new ECM. Customer was NOT happy....because it came out of his pocket.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
... does the Hypertech unit's instructions say that if you take the Jeep in for service, that you need to reprogram back to stock? ...
Yes. .....
Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the hypertech programmer for a couple weeks and I am happy with the results as far as smoothing out the shift points. Not a big gain in power, but I have not tried the higher octane setting either. Mostly wanted it to clear codes and update odometer for changes in tire size.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by amanty
... If the chip helps smooth out shift points for an auto, what are the benefits for a manual? ...
If you're talking about the Hypertech, it's not a chip. It's a programmer. The biggest advantage for the manual is to correct the speedometer (tire size and gearing). You can also get that feature for half the price with the Accupro. The Hypertech also provides a modest improvement in HP/torque. There is a setting for premium gas, if you wish to pay yet more for gas, that is purported to provide an even larger improvement in HP/torque and maybe even gas mileage (I can't personally attest to that because I run regular setting). Finally, if you don't have an OBD-II code reader (I do), it lets you read and clear the vehicle codes (eg, check engine light).
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPG increase?

Which Hypertech programmer are you talking about. I looked at the Hypertech Max Energy (somewhere shy of $400.00) and has anyone actually seen an increase in mileage? Right now I'm getting about 17 MPG overall with most of my driving being in the city.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hypertech max energy. No improv in gas mileage running 35s and 4.10 gears with the 6 speed and I get 16mpg in the city. Same as when I had the 32's on the rubi.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Hey folks. Hopefully this'll be helpful to someone. I have the Hypertech Max Energy and Airaid CAI, and I've tried to play scientist... I've been tracking my mileage faithfully since day one, and can report the following... assume that I drove a split of ~40% highway mileage, ~35% 45 MPH backroads, and ~25% city driving for each of these figures.

I averaged 14.4 MPG before installing the Airaid or Hypertech... however, this was while the engine was still in the break-in stage (<550 miles on the odometer), so you should probably discount this data.

After the Airaid, but before the Hypertech, I traveled 14,114 miles, and averaged 17.62 MPG overall.

With both the Airaid and the Hypertech installed, on the 87 octane performance setting with 87 octane fuel, I got 17.67 MPG, and a noticeable (but small) increase in power.

With both the Airaid and the Hypertech installed, on the 93 octane setting with 93 octane fuel, I got 18.44 MPG over 618 miles, with a significant, easily-noticeable performance increase (most noticeable on the highway, but I was able to spin the tires from a dead stop on an inconsistent basis!).

With both the Airaid and the Hypertech installed, on the 93 octane setting but with 87 octane fuel, I got 17.62 MPG, and the performance was as bad, or worse, than stock. Needless to say, I only ran this way for a single tankful!

I then switched back to the 87 octane setting with 87 octane fuel, and have averaged 17.14 MPG... but that's over only 3 tankfuls, and you have to adjust for 1) extreme humidity/heat, and 2) one of those tankfuls involved several hours of slow off-roading in 4HI/4LO, 3) I replaced my stock front bumper with a heavy-$ss Shrockworks mid-width.

So, overall for the 16000+ miles on my odometer, I'm at a lifetime average of 17.51 MPG, 17.71 MPG overall average since Hypertech was installed, and 17.59 since the Airaid's been installed.

In summary, both the the Airaid and Hypertech netted me additional MPGs, however slight.

</End Boring Analysis>
Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hypertech Max Energy

I'm using the Hypertech Max Energy and wouldn't go back. I have 35 inch tires.... Before the Max Energy I was getting about 13mpg in the city and 16mpg on the highway. With the premium fuel setting you will notice a pretty significant increase in power. Basically, the second you hit the gas it will go with no lag time. With gas prices the way they are, I switched to the Regular/Economy fuel setting and am now getting 17mpg in the city and about 21mpg on the highway. Every JK is different and every driver is different. Bottom line for me:

Increase of 4mpg in city = 80 more miles per tank
Increase of 5mpg on highway = 100 more miles per tank

SIGNIFICANT.

Quick Reply: What programmer or chip are you running?