Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

At what point do you need a beef axle?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Yep, that's the part they are missing. It isn't a few hundred for gears and $130 for a truss and gussets, it is also all of the labor at shop rates. The OP's first post indicates a $2500 investment into his D30, which is what got him thinking about the PR upgrade.

To add a point to the 'offroad driving style' argument, there are plenty of posts and pics from people that have bent their c's or housings with onroad driving. There was even a nice pic of a shattered housing from a low speed encounter with a curb. These are by far the minority, just saying that there are considerations other than how hardcore you are in the rocks.
That's not bad pricing either. Its not a few hundred or 130 down here either. That's just parts not labor. Local shop quoted me 10 per axle plus 300 for gear per axle $100 per hour. That's $2600 before taxes or traction aids. Trusses and gussets are around 200. Add 400-600 for welding and labor. Sounds even if you ask me
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP; Its sounds like your main question is basically wondering at what point is a PR44 needed. The problem is there is not really a laid out black and white answer for that. WAY to many factors. But there are a few questions to ask yourself to know if you would really benefit from one. How often do you break the axles in your D30 now? Or u-joints? Any major damage like gear failure? Bending the axle or C's? If none of this is occurring yet, my guess is unless you drastically change your driving style or upgrade to larger tires/more power, you WILL be fine with what you HAVE been fine with... especially if you regear and add gussets.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olyelr
To the OP; Its sounds like your main question is basically wondering at what point is a PR44 needed. The problem is there is not really a laid out black and white answer for that. WAY to many factors. But there are a few questions to ask yourself to know if you would really benefit from one. How often do you break the axles in your D30 now? Or u-joints? Any major damage like gear failure? Bending the axle or C's? If none of this is occurring yet, my guess is unless you drastically change your driving style or upgrade to larger tires/more power, you WILL be fine with what you HAVE been fine with... especially if you regear and add gussets.
Thanks, yeah so far so good. I bought the jk 2 yrs ago, put 80,000km on it with about 20 wheeling trips so far. No trail damage other than branch scratches and a bent muffler tip (just hopping a curb, ironically...) i have, however, smelled the hell out of my clutch while crawling, which i hope the regear will solve.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced

That's not bad pricing either. Its not a few hundred or 130 down here either. That's just parts not labor. Local shop quoted me 10 per axle plus 300 for gear per axle $100 per hour. That's $2600 before taxes or traction aids. Trusses and gussets are around 200. Add 400-600 for welding and labor. Sounds even if you ask me
Yeah, fair enough, though my 1000$ regear is G2. Quoted nearly double for yukon or other.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, I'd hate to be stuck with these prices. $400-600 for truss and gussets install . You mean to tell me there is no one within a 250 mile radius in a local jeep club with good welding skills that would hook you up for some pizza, beer and maybe some cash? And as for the $130, I did indeed pay that price shipped for my PureJeep gussets (49.95) and axle backbone truss (79.95) for a total of $130. Are there more expensive ones out there? Sure. Just giving an example.

Not saying everyone is forunate to have a good local jeep club, but search around and see if you can meet some jeepers before you start throwing hundreds of dollars to a shop. Guy I've never met from a local club here in TN charged me $50 to weld my truss, gussets and some exhaust work.

Last edited by kh202; 04-30-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, but seeing as i don't have the skillset required if something goes wrong, i like the guarantee of a shop

Quick Reply: At what point do you need a beef axle?