Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is an oversized tire?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is an oversized tire?

At what point will I need some other tire carrier instead of the factory? 31's, 33's, 35's. Just want to be prepared when I get larger tires.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 35's but I don't have a spare. But I think it will matter more on the weight of the tire and wheel combo. I've seen people run 35's on stock carrier and be fine. And have seen others tear up their rear gate.

Only difference I can think of is the weight. And maybe if u r really hard on it. And bounce it too much and poop the spot welds on the gate.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on the weight of the tire, not necessarily the size. Some people have mounted 35s on the stock tailgate without any problems, while others have experienced the tailgate warping from too much weight and lack of support.
That being said, the "common" answer would be 35" and up you should reinforce your spare mount or get an aftermarket tire carrier.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

From what I have seen nothing over the stock size will cause damage to the gate. Once you go larger its time to upgrade the carrier. Seen a number jeeps with warpped and buckeled gates with 34 to 35 inch tires on them. Just my 002 is don't do it.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've read on the forum where someones 33s actually weighed more than their set of 35s. The weight of the wheel will really determines if it will cause any damage to the tailgate
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Look at the clearance your stock spare tire has. You will be able to see how much of a bigger tire will fit.

Also, I have read in the owner's manual the max weight the stock carrier is rated for is 50 lbs.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Look at the clearance your stock spare tire has. You will be able to see how much of a bigger tire will fit.

Also, I have read in the owner's manual the max weight the stock carrier is rated for is 50 lbs.
The stock tire and rim on a Rubicon are over 50# Jeep even sells bike racks for two bikes, so you could easily add 60# to the spare even though the tailgates are weak.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

From page 353 of my 2008 owner's manual:

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

My stock Rubi tires weighed 72 lbs - 48 for the tire and 24 for the wheel. Straight from the factory it didn't meet the weight limit.

An aftermarket bumper with a tire carrier will eat significantly into your GVWR.

Your call how to deal with the info.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
My stock Rubi tires weighed 72 lbs - 48 for the tire and 24 for the wheel. Straight from the factory it didn't meet the weight limit.

What else needs to be said!!

If you can't afford a carrier, at least get a set of the cheap tailgate bumpstops to stop the side-to-side movement.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by River Hill
The stock tire and rim on a Rubicon are over 50# Jeep even sells bike racks for two bikes, so you could easily add 60# to the spare even though the tailgates are weak.
Originally Posted by AZJeeper
From page 353 of my 2008 owner's manual:

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

An aftermarket bumper with a tire carrier will eat significantly into your GVWR.

The point being, it's already overloaded.
People put bigger tires on it all the time. Some have problems, some don't.

Quick Reply: What is an oversized tire?