Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What order should I build in?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What order should I build in?

So I put on the TF 2.5" Coil/Shock lift in August along with 295/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I am loving it so far but am trying to budget the next build steps. looking for advice on what I should do next. The wish list is like everyone. Bumpers (front / rear) Rack, Winch, Front Discos, Tracbars, Skidplates, etc.. I curious as to those that have gone through this.. What is the best item to do next?

Little background info.. its 2007 JK Sahara. I know when I put on my kit my front axel is about 1/4" - 1/2" shifted to the passenger side. I had my new spare on the tailgate for 4 months before the rattle started so right now that is off the jeep except for long trips and trail runs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep2..jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	115352

Name:	jeep - copper - aug 20102..jpg
Views:	83
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	115353

Name:	jeep - copper - aug 2010..jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	115354

Name:	CM Annivt__001..jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	115355

The goal is to have a great family jeep me and my wife, son (10 months), German Shephered and I can take camping for many years. I don't have much experience on trails, but would like to grow in to them. That meaning, I would like to start easy and build in to the extreme trails. The Rubicon will be a trip, just not for a few years.

So.. if that is my goal.. how should I build? What do I need for the occasional easy trip in Colorado this summer and how should I add on so I can tackle trails like the Rubicon down the road?

Top thoughts now are Adj Front Track, quick Discos, and Rock Rails (besides the obvious need for a tire carrier).. but not sure this is the best order....

Let me hear those of you out there that have been at this for a while..

EDIT: as I do not have a ton of cash to spend on these, my goal is to buy stuff a couple of months apart or at my B-day (August) or Christmas.. hence the need for an order as I might only get one or two things by the spring..

Last edited by rdubb1031; 01-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

I would start with some aftermarket differential covers.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TORN
I would start with some aftermarket differential covers.
Why would you start with these? over say an adj trackbar?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
Why would you start with these? over say an adj trackbar?
1/4 - 1/2" is not far from being perfectly centered...

from the faq's and personal experience, most people under 3" wont need a adj. trackbar.

diff covers is a personal preference/ security if you tend to bottom out or scrape the bottom of the jeep often.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

I am in CO as well and have been wheeling my JK more often and on a lot harder trails.

I got a coil lift and front adj track bar with front discos brake lines rear bracket, etc.

I definitely need a rear track bar and some decent rocker protection.

Front drive shaft is on the top of the list though with rocker armor at second. After I get some armor in that section, I can start to really test the Jeep out on some of the even harder trails here in Colorado
Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
I am in CO as well and have been wheeling my JK more often and on a lot harder trails.

I got a coil lift and front adj track bar with front discos brake lines rear bracket, etc.

I definitely need a rear track bar and some decent rocker protection.

Front drive shaft is on the top of the list though with rocker armor at second. After I get some armor in that section, I can start to really test the Jeep out on some of the even harder trails here in Colorado
not that you have all this.. what is your recommendation for my next item? which do you feel is most important?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

After reading it again, hypothetically, adj track bars and quick discos sound like your top picks. But you can always throw other great inexpensive mods in with those.
Either a evap skid or relocation, stubby bumper or cut fenders, and still start a fund for some JK protection. It is so hard to pinch my darn pennies

Last edited by sa29560; 01-05-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
After reading it again, hypothetically, adj track bars and quick discos sound like your top picks. But you can always throw other great inexpensive mods in with those.
Either a evap skid or relocation, stubby bumper or cut fenders, and still start a fund for some JK protection. It is so hard to pinch my darn pennies
obviously the evap skid or relocation for protection.. but what I am protecting. (i.e. what does this do?) sorry, only know as much as i"ve read on here..
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
obviously the evap skid or relocation for protection.. but what I am protecting. (i.e. what does this do?) sorry, only know as much as i"ve read on here..
evaporator canister
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Evap canister is a fuel system component. I relocated mine for $2.
Other protection I guess depends on your trail selection. My JK is getting more into rocks so body armor is becoming necessary.
But a lot of trails in CO can be done bone stock being as they are mostly just steep dirt roads in the mountains

Quick Reply: What order should I build in?