Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what are the non rubicon rigs riding on?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the non rubicon rigs riding on?

I have an 07 2dr sahara 3.21 gears. I have a 4" rc lift and running 33x12.50x17 mt's. I would like to run 35's and regear to 4.88 or maybe even 5.14 and eventually run on 37's. I have read posts about the dana 30's and being to small to mess with regearing or running big tires if your going to play hard in your jeep. I want to know what most of the non rubicons are running? Any of you regearing and running 35's or bigger? You guys who are are you taking it easy on your jeeps? Drive shafts is another concern what do did you upgrade your drive shafts to? Maybe I just need to trade in on a rubicon.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lots and lots and lots of posts on this. Search is your friend. There are even some side-by-side pics floating around showing just how small the D30 gears are compared to D44 and bigger axles.

If you aren't going over 37's, and trading up to a Rubi is an option for you - consider it.

If you might go larger than a 37, keep what you have, since you'd probably be replacing axles/TCase/etc anyway.

Varied opinions on building the D30 vs driving til it breaks and then upgrading vs throwing it away and upgrading now. It's all personal preference and driving style. (personally, I'm going to 5.13 and 35's, going 'real' easy on the skinny pedal, and winching when I have to instead of lockers since I can't afford a built 44 or even a non-warranty D30 repair/replace)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-16-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many threads on this, and many X models running 35s on this forum without problems if careful. Your 3.21 gears are gonna suck what little power the engine puts out, so regearing is a necessity with 35s and stronger axle shafts would be nice, but for the same price as these upgrades you MIGHT be lucky and find a used rubicon axle with 4.10 gears (bearable with 35s).

Last edited by westchester; 04-17-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did some searching and got some info. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

And to answer some of your questions directly: See my signature in this post. I regeared to 5.13, and am running 35"s... I've been wheeling at least 3 times since the regear, and as some other forum members can attest, I'm not exactly a "light touch" with the skinny pedal.

I haven't broken anything (yet), the stock axles seem to be handling the set-up just fine. Having said that, I don't wheel terrain like the guys on the West coast do - we simply don't have anything like Moab up here in New England.

Quick Reply: what are the non rubicon rigs riding on?