Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What next?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stock tires and rims with the teraflex 2.5 BB and love it. I also put lights on the windshield. One thing about the BB with stock rims is that you will need the wheel spacers or you will rub. That added an extra $300 to the lift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1168881366.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	119635   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4067091511.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	119636  
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runit3
You state you don't have money for wheels/tires....but everything you listed after that amounts to more $ than a gently used wheel/tire package How bout giving us a budgeted amount to work with? then we could provide some itemized options & advice....oh, and that 2.5" lift may look dumb enough to push you into buying the 33's ...sorry couldn't help it.
i don't have the money to do the lift, wheels, and tires right now.

and i take it, i will look really dumb with stock tires.

depending on wat i would get, lift or tire wise, i could get either or now.
i didn't really want to spend more than like $1000 right now. i'm starting to get the feeling i should just save up and wait a while to do lift, wheels, and tires. or maybe i should just get tires and wheels, but then i don't want to be rubbing or not be able to fit them.
ugh i hate this part...

thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Probably the best choice (my opinion, yours may vary) is the new TF performance leveling kit. It has 1.5" coils and is supposed to level and help with the added bumper/winch weight. Much better option that adding spacers to compressed stock

If you go with a taller lift, you get in to added expenses as you will start needing more and more components to fix the issues associated with more lift.
i will definiteley have the budget in the future. with the leveling kit i won't actually get any clearance though right? it will just well level it out lol. i wonder if a synthetic line would help at all instead of the steel cable?

and when you say go with a taller lift, go taller than what? aren't there lifts where you dont have to cange much besides BB
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brodydez
I have stock tires and rims with the teraflex 2.5 BB and love it. I also put lights on the windshield. One thing about the BB with stock rims is that you will need the wheel spacers or you will rub. That added an extra $300 to the lift.
when you added the BB doesn't that already add to the stock lift? your looks great but then again you have more aggressive tires than i do. your jeep looks exactly the same as mine except mine is just a JKUX

looking good!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

My jeep was completely stock when I bought it used. Except for a teraflex bb. It looked fine. You almost couldn't even tell it was there. It looked really clean.

Any brand 33 would have easily fit. No rubbing. But I went with bfg km2 35x12.50x17 with a 4.6 backspacing rim. And they look great! It looks really amazingly awesome!
Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Probably the best choice (my opinion, yours may vary) is the new TF performance leveling kit. It has 1.5" coils and is supposed to level and help with the added bumper/winch weight. Much better option that adding spacers to compressed stock coils.

Then, when you are ready for the 35's, chop your stock flares. (there are plenty of write-ups on how to do this.)

If you go with a taller lift, you get in to added expenses as you will start needing more and more components to fix the issues associated with more lift.

Then again, if you think you will have the budget in the future, nothing wrong with slapping some 2.5" coils on and adding more components as you go.
I agree with nthinuf.

First off....do you want a lifted JK, or are you just looking at the lift to accommodate running larger tires? If you're just trying to run 33's then potentially 35's....go with what's suggested above.

As mentioned, you don't need a lift or new wheels to run 33" tires...probably just some wheel spacers. If you want to regain an inch or two from front end sag and level your JK out, just get the TF leveling kit or throw in some coil spacers.

New 33" tires, 1.5" wheels spacers, and if money allows, TF leveling kit. Done.

When your ready for those 35" tires, just keep that TF leveling kit / coil spacers installed and just trim your fenders as mentioned....or install some flat flares. Enough room for your 35's and maintain a lower center of gravity and pretty much your stock ride.

If you're really after a lift, then get a TF Budget Boost with your new tires. A 2.5" lift and flat flares will look a little off with 33's in my opinion.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

If you're really set on 35's eventually I would still buy a set of 33's and run the lift. If it was my Jeep and I had $1000 to do some sort of combination lift/tire/maybe wheel package I would throw on a BB (Rough Country has $140 for some standard pucks and brackets), trim my fenders for free, and spend the rest of the $860 finding a decent set of used tires/wheels.....But this is not the wisest choice...It would be an impulse buy to get the Jeep lookin' really nice and motivate me to save more

If you have more patience than I do, and are smarter than I am, you wouldn't waste your money on things you would need to buy twice. You can run 35's w/just the budget boost and fender trim no problem. However a good set of 35's and wheels costs upwards of $1400...So you could slap that budget boost on because you'll want it eventually anyways, and just live with the stock wheel/tire until you save up the extra $700 on top of the $860.

As for bumpers, armor, etc. you have a winch and front bumper, the rear would only be necessary if you were on the trail every weekend, and armor if you drive the Jeep hard. They're functional and important things, but IMO tires are more important.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

skip the 33's altogether.... i was planning on 33's but decided its not worth it and just get the 35's when i can.

Personally I would save up and buy the lift/wheels/tires all at the same time.

Im a newb in the Jeep world but im hearing the Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift with shocks is a really nice lift for people just looking to fit 35's and do some occasional offroading and use their Jeep mostly for on road daily driving duty without having to change other suspension components.... unless someone can correct me on that?

Last edited by Wrangler_Jay; 01-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
i will definiteley have the budget in the future. with the leveling kit i won't actually get any clearance though right? it will just well level it out lol. i wonder if a synthetic line would help at all instead of the steel cable?

and when you say go with a taller lift, go taller than what? aren't there lifts where you dont have to cange much besides BB
TF has two types of leveling kits. One is a BB with spacers, the other has coils.

The leveling spacer kit will add 2" up front and 1" in back, this gets rid of the stock rake and adds a little lift. Since you have a lot of extra weight up front, your stock coils are already compressed, so adding spacers on top isn't your best solution.

The leveling coil kit is designed to take care of the added weight while also giving a small lift. I haven't seen any posts of actual gains, but expect 1.5-2" with your current weight.

If you move up to the TF 2.5" coils, you can expect somewhere around 3" or a bit more. This will work with 33's and 35's, but it starts getting to the range where you will want to recenter both axles, take care of the low caster and start worrying about the angles on the front driveshaft.

So, it just depends on your longer-term goals. Small lift, chop the flares when you get 35's and be done with it. Taller lift and add components when you need to. Either way, I would suggest coils over spacers since you have a ton of weight up front.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

The leveling coil kit is designed to take care of the added weight while also giving a small lift. I haven't seen any posts of actual gains, but expect 1.5-2" with your current weight.

If you move up to the TF 2.5" coils, you can expect somewhere around 3" or a bit more. This will work with 33's and 35's, but it starts getting to the range where you will want to recenter both axles, take care of the low caster and start worrying about the angles on the front driveshaft.
so i can go with a leveling coil kit and get some height gain. or i can go with a coil lift of 2.5" and mod a bunch of $h!t? btw this is my DD.

it is true though that i can run 33's with no lift and no fender chop? i'm thinking i may do tires/wheels first. or just tires and stick with stock wheels? any suggestions on running stock wheels?

ps this may be a dumb question but can i not put 15" wheels on my 08 JKUX?

Quick Reply: What next?