Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What next?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What next?

Ok so my JK is bone stock except for the bumper. I want to eventually put 33's on it but can't afford it right now. I'll be outrun lights on the bumper and windshield soon.

So the question is do I put flat fender flares on next or a 2.5" teraflex budget boost? Any suggestions? I'll be running stock tires on it for a while.

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

You could always trim your factory fenders and get some lights now!

Also, if you are opposed to trimming skip the flats and get the bb.

The flats and trimmed fenders will make your tires look really small. You might want to wait for the tires.

My vote is four lights. 2 windshield and two on the bumper.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the flat fenders. I like the lift look with more room for the tires to flex. I say, fender chop the fenders for free! Lots of write ups to do this. I did mine in a few hours. That way you can fit 33s now. And if you want a bb then get that too. So basically 2 the price of 1. :-) Hope that helps. Heck u can fit 35s too if you wanted to later on.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Well I'm getting the lights regardless lol. I just don't know how bad or would look with the BB
Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Junkie

Maybe you can find some take offs from a Rubi and chop your fenders for free. Then save for 2.5" coil lift and 35s. Just my two pennies, an unlimited has to have 35s at least.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
Well I'm getting the lights regardless lol. I just don't know how bad or would look with the BB

If you're going to be running 33's then I say go with the Teraflex leveling kit and do the fender chop. That way you save some money for the lights or anything else you want to get.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can run 33's without doing anything to your jeep, you just need the right back spacing on your wheels if it is a 33 12.5 tire. If you get a budget boost, I would skip right past the 33's and get some 35's. They fit awesome and look great on the 2.5" BB. Check out the 4sale section, there are always good deals on 35" wheel and tire combos and also on the BB.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Freak

so like i said i got the lights. now i'm am on to the next thing. but i have been thinking about this for a while now lol and can't make up my mind. i have a slight frend end sag due to the bumpber and winch. i want to lift it to be able to do 33's and eventually down the road 35's. however i don't have the money for wheels and tires for a little bit. so what next. i was looking at 2.5" lift figuring that would be enough but how dumb would it look with stock tires? i also want to do rear bumper and rock sliders and flat flares. any suggestions...again?

thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Probably the best choice (my opinion, yours may vary) is the new TF performance leveling kit. It has 1.5" coils and is supposed to level and help with the added bumper/winch weight. Much better option that adding spacers to compressed stock coils.

Then, when you are ready for the 35's, chop your stock flares. (there are plenty of write-ups on how to do this.)

If you go with a taller lift, you get in to added expenses as you will start needing more and more components to fix the issues associated with more lift.

Then again, if you think you will have the budget in the future, nothing wrong with slapping some 2.5" coils on and adding more components as you go.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PAwrangler08
however i don't have the money for wheels and tires for a little bit. so what next. i was looking at 2.5" lift figuring that would be enough but how dumb would it look with stock tires? i also want to do rear bumper and rock sliders and flat flares. any suggestions...again?

thanks!
You state you don't have money for wheels/tires....but everything you listed after that amounts to more $ than a gently used wheel/tire package How bout giving us a budgeted amount to work with? then we could provide some itemized options & advice....oh, and that 2.5" lift may look dumb enough to push you into buying the 33's ...sorry couldn't help it.

Quick Reply: What next?