Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What needs to be done after installing a new lift?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What needs to be done after installing a new lift?

Short of something better for the same price coming out before my '08 Sahara unlimited comes in I'll be putting on a Full Traction 3" ultimate lift with 35" tires. What I want to know is what all needs to be done once the lift is installed. I assume an alignment would be necessary...anything else? Also, I live in Mexico but will go back to AZ to pick up my Jeep and all the accessories I'm starting to order. I plan on doing the lift but not putting on (or taking off the 35's after the alignment) the larger tires/wheels until I get back to Mexico since there is no use killing my mileage. My plans are to use the 35's on aftermarket wheels while down here and then putting the stockers back on for long trips back to the States so that I can preserve my nice tires and get better mileage with the smaller tires.

So does it matter which tires/wheels I have on for the alignment? Am I better off putting the 35's on for the alignment and then putting the stockers back on for the trip or just getting the alignment done with the stockers?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey red7, you should be setting your caster while you're installing your FT Ultimate Lift and after all is said and done, the only thing you will need to do is recenter your steering wheel. Nothing else is needed to align your front end.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet! I thought I had read that a realignment was necessary after installing a lift but that is good news if it's not necessary.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Hey red7, you should be setting your caster while you're installing your FT Ultimate Lift and after all is said and done, the only thing you will need to do is recenter your steering wheel. Nothing else is needed to align your front end.
Is "setting your caster" in the instructions?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:13 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red7
Short of something better for the same price coming out before my '08 Sahara unlimited comes in I'll be putting on a Full Traction 3" ultimate lift with 35" tires. What I want to know is what all needs to be done once the lift is installed. I assume an alignment would be necessary...anything else? Also, I live in Mexico but will go back to AZ to pick up my Jeep and all the accessories I'm starting to order. I plan on doing the lift but not putting on (or taking off the 35's after the alignment) the larger tires/wheels until I get back to Mexico since there is no use killing my mileage. My plans are to use the 35's on aftermarket wheels while down here and then putting the stockers back on for long trips back to the States so that I can preserve my nice tires and get better mileage with the smaller tires.

So does it matter which tires/wheels I have on for the alignment? Am I better off putting the 35's on for the alignment and then putting the stockers back on for the trip or just getting the alignment done with the stockers?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by wayoflife

With all due respect, you have both missed the most important task, after getting a new lift and tires. You must push your JK to it's limits. Go wheelin, and wheel hard. I'm expecting to see some good reviews of trails that are south of the border. Via con dios.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
With all due respect, you have both missed the most important task, after getting a new lift and tires. You must push your JK to it's limits. Go wheelin, and wheel hard. I'm expecting to see some good reviews of trails that are south of the border. Via con dios.
You beat me to it.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
Yes, but first I've got to receive my Jeep and I have a feeling it's going to be awhile since I just ordered it 1.5 weeks ago. It is in BX status......as if that reassures me of anything. I've found some great trails here but I was on my YZ450F and even a jeep couldn't have gone where we went. I'll definitely post some beach pics as that's the main reason I'm getting it. And you were really close but for future reference it's "vaya con Dios".

Quick Reply: What needs to be done after installing a new lift?