Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what need to be changed??

Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what need to be changed??

when adding a lift of any sort like a 3in or 3.5. what needs to be changed in order for it to fun correctly. for example, do i need to change my drive shaft or change the gearing?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

At the top of this modified area is a sticky for the FAQ's. In the suspension section, you will find some recommendations.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJ-RUBICON
when adding a lift of any sort like a 3in or 3.5. what needs to be changed in order for it to fun correctly. for example, do i need to change my drive shaft or change the gearing?
There are plenty of threads that should indicate some of the necessary evils associated with 3+ inches of lift. A few of these + or - come at the cost of your habits...the others come at the cost of your lift.
For example: I need a 3 inch lift and I only go offroad when there is a lunar eclipse...
= Well it's safe to say an entry level 3 inch lift should do the trick for you.
Another example: I go offroad everyday and have already replaced my 2 axles to Dana 60's with ARB lockers. = This example explains the other full extreme of the equation regarding the question posed.

My point is that there is a ton of information regarding your question and a bunch of these answers can only come at your assumptions for your jeep regarding these needs..ie offroad/onroad manners - swaybars disconnected everytime off road, 33"-37" in tires, perception of power, places you wheel, etc...

You'll only need to regear if you change your tire size and that need is only based on your expectation of acceleration on road off road etc..... I know this isn't being at all helpful but there are a few questions you need to answer before our opinions can help sway you decisions.

A typical needs - 35" tires are usually accompanied by a gear change regardless of lift size (lift has no effect on gearing) to regain the perceived lost power with the tire diameter change. A 3-3.5" lift when used to it's fullest capability on a 2dr or 4dr will have an effect on your driveshaft needs. Auto or Manual all have an affect on you driveline needs when lifted... Give us a scenario on your perceived offroad needs and your expected tire sizes along with the auto/manual 2dr/4dr breakdown and you'll get plenty of lift/gearing ideas.

Good luck...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

I bought 35 in tirers and bout to buy lift. What I was lookin for is the changes to the trasfer case and the drive shaft. Also does every lift need to change its gearing.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

My jk is a 6 speed and I.plan to do off roading very often
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJ-RUBICON
My jk is a 6 speed and I.plan to do off roading very often
With over three inches of suspension lift, your drive shafts will be at a steep angle and the boots will tear and the joint will wear and you will have to replace them with double cardigan drive shafts. There is no telling when they will fail, it's just a matter of time
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I bought 35 in tirers and bout to buy lift. What I was lookin for is the changes to the trasfer case and the drive shaft
You can swap to a new transfer case if you want, just depends on how your offroad performance is. For driveshafts, again, just depends. What lift height, how long are the shocks, disconnected or not, how lucky are you, etc.

Also does every lift need to change its gearing.
New gearing is based on tire size and personal preference, not lift height. Drive with the new tires and decide if you need new gears. There is some good info in the faq's noted above that you haven't bothered to look through.

Quick Reply: what need to be changed??