Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What MPG's is everyone getting out of their 2012's?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 JKU Rubi with 4:10s, AT, 35s, bumpers, winch, left, etc. I average around 14.5mpg. I feel like the milage dropped when I replaced the factory skid with the one that came with my LoD armor-lite bumper. I may mount the factory skid over this one to see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11' JKU 3.21's with 35"s and 4" lift getting 16city 19 highway. Only other things done to mine is a full Gibson exhaust headers all the way to the cat pipe, stock down pipe though cuz Gibson doesn't offer one...annoying
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AwdDude
My 2013 jku 6 spd 3.73 stock 32's gets 21.3 mpg average

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
My 2013 JKU 6spd 3:73 stock 32's and TF level kit (same as you minus level kit) I only average 15mpg combined going by the dash. Manually calculated it's slightly worse than that. Mind you I have only run 2 tanks of fuel since new, the one Jeep gave me on pick (87 octane I'm sure) and my first fill (91 octane). I have about 560 miles.

I'm chalking it up to the winter months and engine break in. I had a 2002 WJ 4.7 that got about the same mileage as this with 150K miles so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not expecting fiat numbers here but not getting remotely close to the advertised estimated numbers of 30mpg hwy and 16/17mpg city that they claim.

One thing I did notice is that the Jeep has "woken" up in the last 20 miles or so. It feels more powerful and the "ECON" light on the dash is gone replaced with a fuel consumption meter. Previously compass/thermostat. Not sure why it changed, I didnt do it but I have heard that allot of JK owners noticed their rides coming to life after 500-800 miles of driving.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 12' rubi, 4.10's, bumper, winch, trail gear and tools, co2, hi-lift all rolling on 37's, I average 13 mpg with city and highway combined per tank
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity

My 2013 JKU 6spd 3:73 stock 32's and TF level kit (same as you minus level kit) I only average 15mpg combined going by the dash. Manually calculated it's slightly worse than that. Mind you I have only run 2 tanks of fuel since new, the one Jeep gave me on pick (87 octane I'm sure) and my first fill (91 octane). I have about 560 miles.

I'm chalking it up to the winter months and engine break in. I had a 2002 WJ 4.7 that got about the same mileage as this with 150K miles so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not expecting fiat numbers here but not getting remotely close to the advertised estimated numbers of 30mpg hwy and 16/17mpg city that they claim.

One thing I did notice is that the Jeep has "woken" up in the last 20 miles or so. It feels more powerful and the "ECON" light on the dash is gone replaced with a fuel consumption meter. Previously compass/thermostat. Not sure why it changed, I didnt do it but I have heard that allot of JK owners noticed their rides coming to life after 500-800 miles of driving.
Hope the 30mpg hiway is a typo, never been advertised as 30, and if you notice the jk has same rating as JKU, common spence will tell you a bigger heavier rig will not get same mileage as a smaller lighter one. Also running 91 octane is not necessary on this motor, will get a more complete burn with quality 87 as the manual calls for. a more complete burn = better economy and less carbon build up!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full stock 2012 JKU. 3.73's, Auto. I average about 19 mpg mixed driving in the summer, and about 17 mpg since about November, which is when I assume the winter gas hit pumps, although I did throw on stock sized winter tires around then as well. On an all highway trip with the cruise set at about 110 km/h in the summer months I get right around 21 mpg. Terrain here is very up and down.

I plan to go to 285/70/17 Duratracs this spring when the winter rubber comes back off, so I don't expect I'll see numbers that good this coming summer.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity

Yeah I noticed a big change for my jk right around 1200 miles, more power, better fuel economy. Got any pics of the fuel consumption meter? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine, however I did turn off the eco light on mine.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
Hope the 30mpg hiway is a typo, never been advertised as 30, and if you notice the jk has same rating as JKU, common spence will tell you a bigger heavier rig will not get same mileage as a smaller lighter one. Also running 91 octane is not necessary on this motor, will get a more complete burn with quality 87 as the manual calls for. a more complete burn = better economy and less carbon build up!
if you walk into a Jeep dealer and look at their "fuel efficient line up" advertisements that list all the vehicles that net 30MPG or better on the hwy, the Jk is there.

Yeah, a slightly heavier rig will consume more fuel no doubt but the JKU is not "fat" compared to the JK, a little extra around the mid section perhaps. lol

Im playing with fuel grades now to see if it makes a diff. So far I actually got better mileage on the first tank, just slightly as you had eluded too with lower octane.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AwdDude
Yeah I noticed a big change for my jk right around 1200 miles, more power, better fuel economy. Got any pics of the fuel consumption meter? I haven't noticed anything like that on mine, however I did turn off the eco light on mine.

No pics but, it just displays my avg l/100km (im in Canada) and right under that is says "reset". I havent learned all the functions on the dash yet, havent just started going through the owners manual (DVD version) last weekend, lots of modules to go still. Im sure somewhere in there it will say how to turn on/off the fuel economy metering....
Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I keep it under 65 I get 19-20 on the hwy. I usually average 18 with hwy and city driving each tank.

If I drive over 65, the gas mileage decreases exponentially. Driving 75-80 consistently, I will get 15 hwy.

33x12.5 tires with 4.10s

Quick Reply: What MPG's is everyone getting out of their 2012's?