Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What more do I need for simple towing?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What more do I need for simple towing?

I'm hoping to use my 2011 JKU Sahara to do a little light towing in the near future. I'm lifted with the Teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift. I'm running stock Sahara tires, but will be swapping out to 15" wheels with 33" Duratracs soon.

I was gonna get this towing mount:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu...8033477&sr=8-1

I have the factory tow package and the gears/hitch that come with that.

My immediate towing needs will be for a UHaul rental trailer for occasional Home Depot trips, and I'm looking at smaller pop up tent trailers for the summer.

My questions:

1) Will that mount work for me?
2) Which size ball is the best for universal use?
3) Do I need a 7 to 4 pin adapter? I've heard the ones from UHaul are crap and expensive.
4) Any other things I need (brake controllers or anything that didn't come with the tow package?)

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope this is the right sub forum.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default towing

my questions:

1) Will that mount work for me?
2) Which size ball is the best for universal use?
3) Do I need a 7 to 4 pin adapter? I've heard the ones from UHaul are crap and expensive.
4) Any other things I need (brake controllers or anything that didn't come with the tow package?)

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope this is the right sub forum.[/QUOTE]

1. yes this will work
2. 2" is prob all around universal. some smaller trailers use 1 7/8". i would not tow trailers requirinv 2 5/16" ball with the jeep.
3. i dont think u need 7 to 4 adapter... the jeep is already 4 pin. ( u cant go 4 to 7)
4. i doubt i will need a brake controller for anything the jeep can tow. the stock tow package is all u need. imo
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that.. I've towed around the max rating for my 2-door, approximately 2000lbs, probably a dozen times. The JK does great.

One thing to consider - ideally you want to know what the tongue height is for the trailer you are towing - then buy the ball-mount with the correct amount of drop. You dont want the trailer riding too nose-high, or too nose-low. It's been a while, but I think you want to aim for a slight front to back rake with the front of the trailer riding slightly lower than the rear. I believe nose-high can induce or promote swaying.

Uhaul may have specs on their site listing what the tongue height is. If not, I recently rented one of their heavier open flat-beds, and can give you an estimate of what it was. (please shoot me a PM if you do want that).
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. I may swing by my local Uhaul on the way home to check the tow point. I'll PM if I can't get the answers there.

Last edited by Former Shasta; 01-31-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: changed can to can't
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending what size tent trailer you are looking at you may want to consider trailer brakes, brake controller and going to a seven pin connector. I know with our popup (1700 lbs fully loaded) our first few trips were without trailer brakes and coming down some of the steep grades I could really feel it pushing the Jeep. Our popup come with brakes but they weren't hooked up, adding the brake controller and converting to a 7 pin to get the brakes working made a huge difference, etrailer.com is a good source for these.

You may also want more than a 2" drop, with a 2" lift and 33's I use a 5" drop with a 2" ball.

Last edited by Jeepin Dad; 01-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the tips. I wound up buying that one off amazon. It did the trick and was almost left with my lift. I think I'll have to look at lower drops when I get a tent trailer. Rented a trailer from UHAUL last weekend and loaded it up with wood to build a fence. Took it easy and everything went fine. Didn't realize the trailer alone weighted about a ton. Good things I was only building about 30 ft of fencing.

Quick Reply: What more do I need for simple towing?