Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what makes the difference...tire weight or tire size?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what makes the difference...tire weight or tire size?

So ive been reading around and not sure if my tires are going to cause me to lose the torque i need to climb the highway ramp and pick up enough speed. Ive noticed most people re gear due to the tire size and some have different opinions compared to others on whether it is necessary.

I have 33x14.5x16 SSR super swampers ( that are actually 33.5) that i will be putting on my Auto jk tomorrow. They are not huge tires, but i think the weight is significantly greater than most 33s. Each tire weighs about 80lbs and i think the weight is comparable to a larger tire.

But then again its only a 33........ im just not sure if i will have to regear because of the weight. I dont really care about take off speed to much, but i just want to be able to wheel it in the mud and sand. And be able to drive on the hightway without it having to search for gears. What do you guys think

Am i actually pulling the weight of 35s?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the diameter and the weight have an effect. The larger diameter makes the wheel harder to turn meaning you loose some torque, and the weight adds inertia making the tire resist changed in speed making it accelerate and stop slower; so both reduced power and more resistance to any change of speed.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by porters
Both the diameter and the weight have an effect. The larger diameter makes the wheel harder to turn meaning you loose some torque, and the weight adds inertia making the tire resist changed in speed making it accelerate and stop slower; so both reduced power and more resistance to any change of speed.
so does this mean that it evens me out since i have a smaller diameter tire with more weight? Of course ill have some resistance but will it be drivable
Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

If you have an auto trans, get some 5.13s, that will make up for the power loss.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

If you have a manual, 4.88s would be fine. I have those gears with 35s, manual and they seem close to stock.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

I went from 285/70/17 to 35/12.5/15 and there really wasn't a dramatic difference.

IMO the reason is because of weight, I think it play more of a role than most people. Not to mention the added stress on the axels and U joints.

My 35 tires weight about 60 pounds with rims around 85.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

weight affects power performance and parts breakage, size affects off road performance

Quick Reply: what makes the difference...tire weight or tire size?