Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eodguy789
Perhaps you can answer my question. When I look at the AEV the entire bumper seems to sit about 1-3 inches higher than stock (based on where it seems to hit the turn signals on the grill and where the sides nearly touch the fender bottoms). Is this the case? If so it seems that would give quite a bit more room underneath to approach a ledge. It also seems that the approach at the corners would be GREATLY improved over stock. It would not of course be a shorty, but perhaps offer clearance between stock and a shorty while offering greater protection in a wreck (hitting a deer or similar) to the wheels and fenders.

It is expensive, but no matter what other bumper I see I compare it to the AEV for aesthetics.

I also think that perhaps the new LOD signature rear bumper my look good with the AEV on the front.
I did not have the vehicle to measure with the stock bumper before the AEV bumper was installed. But your observations seem accurate. I can tell you I successfully climbed a very steep wall-not ledge with no scraping. I think the top photo shows the approach angle very well.

I am still waiting to see what AEV comes out with for a rear bumper before I make a decision.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Either way, the bumper is great.

Thanks for the quick response. Would anyone know how to get in tough with AEV to ask them the question I posed? I am very curious about it. I am thinking that even w/o a lift it will over a few inches over stock.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default AEV Approach Angle:

These show the approach angle of the AEV bumper better:

I did not scrape...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mowabb
These show the approach angle of the AEV bumper better:

I did not scrape...
'NUFF SAID!

Damn that thing looks awesome. Still waiting to get my build started (FT LA kit to be shipped??)

Keep posting pictures. They are inspiring.

mark
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mpg????? Aev magic front bumper????

CANT EXPLAIN IT BUT AFTER INSTALLING MY NEW AND SUPER HEAVY AEV PREMIUM BUMPER WITHOUT SKID PLATE MY 2011 RUBI HAS GONE FROM 16.5MPG TO 17.8???? HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS, MAYBE THE LACK OF SKID PLATE COOLS THE INTAKE?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nothing6699
CANT EXPLAIN IT BUT AFTER INSTALLING MY NEW AND SUPER HEAVY AEV PREMIUM BUMPER WITHOUT SKID PLATE MY 2011 RUBI HAS GONE FROM 16.5MPG TO 17.8???? HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THIS, MAYBE THE LACK OF SKID PLATE COOLS THE INTAKE?
It made the front end drop about 1" so it's more aerodynamic now!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I can add to this, is regarding the strength of the Rugged Ridge bumper. I've got $520 in mine, and that includes the stinger and stubby end caps, to get rid of those completely flat ones. I ran across a totally stuck, sitting on the frame rails and nerf bars, F350 4 door diesel 4x4 truck, one day while out wheeling. I had to move 3 separate times, and chain my rear D-ring to a tree each time, and make 3 long pulls, to get him out of the 'U' shaped muddy rut, and the bumper seemed rock solid. Sold me on its strength, anyway.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expedition One
Its one of those things that's going to be different for everyone...

I to like the looks of an AEV bumper. From the little I've seen of them they have good angles and compliment the JK very much. They Also appear to be well designed and constructed.

I think something that is very overlook in all of these categories is what goes into making each bumper and where its made. AEV's stuff is all made in the U.S.A. as far as I know... Were as many other companies have outsourced there stuff... Not sure if Rugged ridge is one of those companies or not, but IMO its something to keep in mind.
I'm going to go ahead and promote the Expedition One bumper here since they so unselfishly didn't themselves. Along with AEV products I think the build quality is the big difference. There is also a level of customer service that comes with both companies. We got Exp One bumpers, and though a bit more than others, we choose them because of the quality and looks. We plan to have the Jeep for as long as it runs and we wanted a bumper that would last the same amount of time.

Quick Reply: What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?