Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only real rant about the JK is the price of aftermarket parts. However, I knew that as an early adopter I would be screwed to pay big money for a lot of things. Nice bumber, not worth that much money, and a number of us will pay it since there isn't much choice. I like to believe that after a couple more years prices will go down, time will tell.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
It is the nicest Bumper available hands down without a question.

Is it expensive yes.

David
Definitely have to agree with the hands down nicest looker.

But just a few hundred less... Right now it's not even in that " I could make the stretch " category. I mean, throw in the lights, the winch.... egh, too much$$$$$
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks to me a lot like the European factory bumper in metal a little to like stock for me but for some that may be a desireable thing
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terrahawk
Expensive does not always = better
agreed - sometimes you pay for the name / advertising the company has to pay for.

as far as aftermarket prices, it's just like it was when the TJs came out. I bought a '97 Sport in the Fall of '96. prices on TJ stuff was crazy.

this time next year when other companies have had a chance to produce stuff, prices will be a little better and so on and so on

Last edited by AdamH; 01-31-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never pay that much for a BUMPER! I think 700 is way too much! You buy a steel bumper for the strength so when you hit something what you hit breaks not your Jeep. I would be afraid to scratch that AEV if I spent that much on it! Heck there isn't even any stainless or chrome on it! It doesn't even come with he fog lights you have to use your own! They are making a mint off of these!

Its simple quit buying from a greedy company and they will have no choice but lower the price.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

In today's setting, most, if not all of us are concerned with value vs cost.

However, each of us will value things differently at differing costs.

Buy what you want at a price you can afford.

It seems like both bumpers are well made/engineered.

Some will be able to pay more, while some will gladly pay less.

No big deal. No disparaging comments required (few have been offered).

If you can afford it, get what you want.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

A product's value is determined by the consumers' demand for it. If AEV can sell their bumpers for what they do, and people buy them, more power to them. This is America, after all. If you dont like how much it costs, dont buy it. Period. I really like the Fab Fours rocker guards. They are also very expensive. But I like them, and would be willing to pay that much for them because its what I want. Im not going to "settle" for something less than exactly what I want just because it costs a few hundred dollars more.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

that AEV bumper is like teh darn stock one, the wings stick out so far. No way for a tire to get out and climb a steep ledge. Fender protection... pfffttt who needs fender flares?
A stubby bumper is what ya want. Dont pay for the name.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Steep ledges were no problem with the AEV bumper:

In fact I never hit my bumper. The Unlimited with shortened stock bumpers scraped several times.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mowabb
Steep ledges were no problem with the AEV bumper:

In fact I never hit my bumper. The Unlimited with shortened stock bumpers scraped several times.
Perhaps you can answer my question. When I look at the AEV the entire bumper seems to sit about 1-3 inches higher than stock (based on where it seems to hit the turn signals on the grill and where the sides nearly touch the fender bottoms). Is this the case? If so it seems that would give quite a bit more room underneath to approach a ledge. It also seems that the approach at the corners would be GREATLY improved over stock. It would not of course be a shorty, but perhaps offer clearance between stock and a shorty while offering greater protection in a wreck (hitting a deer or similar) to the wheels and fenders.

It is expensive, but no matter what other bumper I see I compare it to the AEV for aesthetics.

I also think that perhaps the new LOD signature rear bumper my look good with the AEV on the front.

Quick Reply: What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?