Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Area-51
Is the Rampage a solid top if you do not put the winch plate on?
Yes, it is flat topped. It comes with four bolt holes drilled in the top for the winch plate which is also provided. I will be mounting my bumper without the winchplate or winch and it will look fine. When my cashflow replenishes, I will mount the plate and winch. This bumper is an excellent buy.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have toured the AEV facility in Montana and was extremely impressed with their quality and attention to detail. Granted, $1200 is on par with a full size truck winch bumper, but like someone else here said, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Expedition One
Its one of those things that's going to be different for everyone...

I to like the looks of an AEV bumper. From the little I've seen of them they have good angles and compliment the JK very much. They Also appear to be well designed and constructed.

I think something that is very overlook in all of these categories is what goes into making each bumper and where its made. AEV's stuff is all made in the U.S.A. as far as I know... Were as many other companies have outsourced there stuff... Not sure if Rugged ridge is one of those companies or not, but IMO its something to keep in mind.
Thank you for your time and reply.

Made in the U.S.A. is one of my highest concerns. Anyone who's been around on here long has seen some of my "Made in the USA" rants, I'm sure.

Canada, England, Australia, Germany, and sometimes Japan are my next biggest choices if there is none in the US. I do not buy (unless if I absolutely have to) Chinese, Tiawan, or Phillipino crap!

Heck, even my new wheels and tires are "Merican"!

Originally Posted by A'sJK
Bumper prices are so much higher than the TJ....kinda frustrating. Makes purchasing one more of a thought out expense.
My sentiments precisely!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by terrahawk
Expensive does not always = better
I agree, however my tastes always seem to make my choices fairly expensive, however $1200 or more for a front bumper seems excessive. I don't think they are having trouble selling them though.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I have read the main reason the AEV bumper is so expensive is the way it is made. It is one solid piece of metal that is stamped into shape with no welds. I guess it takes forever to get the stamp right and is trial and error.

Too much money for me I think, but it certainly makes a clean looking bumper.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I think the AEV Bar is the best looking bar for the JK, therefore I am happy to pay for good looks, and it's even more expensive is Aussie $$$$!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll go out on a limb here! The Bumper shipped with the lower skid is about $1500. Is it worth it? Absolutely....To me! Because I bought one. I am all about function, but I also care about form (too much engineering and architecture). In my opinion, it was the only bumper that I saw that fit the lines and character of the JK. The new ARB is much nicer then the first ones I saw pictures of, but even in it's final production, it's just off on the lines. This is why I still don't have a rear bumper, because I haven't seen one that I like enough to spend the money they are asking. I have 0 regrets with regards to the AEV. Is it the bumper for everyone? Nope, but that's the wonder of the Jk's, so many products for so many tastes and budgets! As for the cost, it is a stamped steel piece, wth some welding, and is heavily engineered. So I can see where the $$$$ was spent in developement. You have to understand that AEV isn't getting rich off every bumper, and that we'd probably be surprised at what their actual costs are, being all made in USA, means they have high labor costs, high developement costs, and high material costs. Just my $.02
Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With AEV they have much more technology into their bumper than any other company out there. As far as I know they are one of the only, if not the only company to design everything on a CAD system prior moving on. This makes sure it will fit like it should. Also they are stamping their metal so the strength of the bumper with 1/8" steel can be greater than 1/4" steel, but at the same tiem lighter on the front end. Also they are stamping their bumpers. This means that there is greater cost in developing the dies for stamping etc... It also means that the bumpers are more uniform than the ones that are hand welded out of steel plate.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

It does not take alot of technology to make a sturdy stylish front bumper.

Something between AEV and ARB happened and AEV decided to produce there own bumper.

Back in October when we ordered out JK Rubi I sought out Buddy King from ARB to get in line for a set of bumpers for our rig.

Her step brother bought an AEV Rubicon from Detroit.

Honestly... I paid $2200 for an ARB Winch Bar, Rear Bar, OBA Compressor, Kilby Tank Kit for JK, Smitty Built 8000lb Winch, CB and antenna, and since I own the spray liner dealership the spray liner is free.

I dont have Pintler Wheels, stamped hood that is not necessary for mini van motor, I dont have corner guards that will rust out eventually from the drilling and sandwiched metal on metal, and I dont have a front skid plate yet (shopping around for 1 right now or waiting for ARB one to finally be ready) All in all, I spent $2700 less than the AEV conversion and when you put our JK Rubi beside his, ours looks just as great, functions just as great, and is actually better protected front and back because we have a rear bumper that is actually heavy gauge metal.

AEV CONVERSION FOR JK Way not worth the money.

If they installed the Winch, HD Coils for 1-2" lift, rear bumper like the front, and 16" Pintler Bead Locks on ever rig then the cost would be justified.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the nicest Bumper available hands down without a question.

Is it expensive yes.

David

Quick Reply: What makes the AEV bumper worth $1300-$1700?