Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what lockers to run? dana 30 up front and dana 44 in rear.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what lockers to run? dana 30 up front and dana 44 in rear.

Just as the title states. what lockers for the dana 44in the rear and dana 30 up front? I am installing a set of 4.88 gears in my 2012 jk sport and figured it would be the perfect time to install lockers! I like the idea of electric lockers for the fact that they would be easier to install as far as routing the wires and electrical controls as I am an Electrician. I didn't read great reviews about the ected ones though. What are your thoughts on the ox lockers electricaly actuated? or even the cable actuated? Also ive considered the ARB air lockers? My next question is I think I have dana 30 with 27 spline up front and I believe my dana 44 rear is a 30 spline as well is this correct? its a stock front and rear axle on a 2012 jk sport.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

27 spline d30 and 30 spline d44 is correct.

Eaton redesigned the d44 e-locker not too long ago, so many people are moving to it instead of running air. Still new enough that no long term reviews are out yet, but seems like a solid product. (if you get these, remove the bolts and re-loktite them)

Ox, some people like them, others report issues with the cable.

The l/s portion of the ECTED uses clutches, which don't get very favorable reviews offroad. Haven't read of any issues with the locker part of it though.

And if you don't feel like paying two grand for selectable lockers, I'll toss out a plug for the Detroit Truetrac. Lots of threads on it.

Reformatted to fix the poor editing job done by the mods...

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Same axle setup as you. I have not regeared but wanted to lock the front, so I am running a Lokka. It's basically an Aussie or lunchbox. A bit squirrely on ice but I'm used to it now. If I regeared I probably would go with Detroit Truetracs front and rear.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ARB lockers and 4.56 gears. Installed by Northwest 4x4. The setup has been perfect since day one - no regrets.

I considered other lockers but like the ARB design. I'm also an electrician/electronic tech, but still preferred the air lockers - and I wanted to have on board air anyway.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Same axle setup as you. I have not regeared but wanted to lock the front, so I am running a Lokka. It's basically an Aussie or lunchbox. A bit squirrely on ice but I'm used to it now. If I regeared I probably would go with Detroit Truetracs front and rear.
That's what I did. Regeared from 3.21 to 4.88 and installed (front/rear) Detroit Truetracs. Absolutely loving it.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same axles as you: sleeves gussets, 5:13's, RCV'S, yukon zip lockers front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

My axle has the gussets installed already. Thanks for the replys guys. Im new to the jkworld but been working on jeeps and anything with a motor and wheels for years. I think I may just keep it simple and do the Detroit Truetracs. Seems asthough you guys like these.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by orange_crusher
I think I may just keep it simple and do the Detroit Truetracs. Seems asthough you guys like these.
Summit Racing, they generally have the lowest prices.

Front d30 - 912A585 - $390
Rear d44 - 913A589 - $415 (on sale now, great price! $590 at quadratec, $456 at 4WP)

And since you wanted selectable lockers, be sure to read through a few threads on them to make sure you will be happy with the purchase. Can't replace a locker for those who 'need' a locker, but for the majority of JK owners, this is a great setup...
Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Same axles as you on an '11. I went 4.88 gears and Yukon Zip front and rear. Just completed the break in process and heading to wheel in a few days.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the same axles on my 08 JKU. I pondered this questions for quite some time and researched until my wife was sick of hearing about it and decided to go with a detroit TT up front and an OX in the rear. I currently have the factory LSD in the rear and an open carrier up front and it is pretty weak in the tougher stuff I ran into wheeling in TX. However, now that my engine is starting to suck oil at a vastly increased rate, I think I am going to just trade up to a new Rubi and not have to worry about it!

Quick Reply: what lockers to run? dana 30 up front and dana 44 in rear.