Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What lockers for rear in 4 door

Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
NO LOCKERS!!! they are WAY over rated!!! dont need them, never have , never will. IN the past 10 years I have never been in a situation where lockers would have made a diiference. The only time i have been hung up is when i sliiped off my line and have been high centered, so if no tires have traction then a locker would not have helped anyway. Lockers just make people try things they are not ready for. ( this opinion EXCLUDES PROFESIONAL driving)

2007 JK Unlimited 6 Speed 4.10 Gears
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
RocKrawler Front Lower Control Arm Mounting Bracket/Skid Plates
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
get a grip ... literally. lockers are essential in real rig ridin'
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geebee
get a grip ... literally. lockers are essential in real rig ridin'
X2

corey d
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccwbrd
Come on down to Florida and get in some real mud

No Lockers See how the BLD does then!
i dont do mud....so i completely agree with you. the BLD is not designed for mud. we all know that.

And as for why JEEP put lockers in their vehicles...well maybe, just maybe, to help people go on trails that they are not ready for.

quick little story: before Paragon in Pa closed, one of the members drove an old STOCK CJ( OPEN DIFFS FRONT and REAR) he drove every trail trail in the park EXCEPT ones rated red. I watched that old guy wheel circles around huge Jeeps that drivers just wnet out and bought. I talked to him seceral times that year and i ddecided that PERSONALLY i will never put lockers in any of my Jeeps. I have learned that they are not needed. BesideLandrover. the only vehicle to drive around the world, and traverse the Rocky Mt's from south to north, did it all without lockers So if they can do that on open diffs why do i need them for some silly rocks?

2007 JK Unlimited 6 Speed 4.10 Gears
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
RocKrawler Front Lower Control Arm Mounting Bracket/Skid Plates
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
X2

corey d
plenty of grip here... and no they not essential... besides if you are not driving in a competition EVERY DAY then yiou are not "real rig ridin" anyway. most of the members here are "weekend warriors with every day Jeeps. Hell if we all thout like you then we would have helmets and hans devices a complete triangulated roll cage fire suppression system rear wheel steering.....etc etc etc are they not essential of "real rig ridin"? all the pros have them? so you get a grip. come on over and play. i will follow you down any trail you pick and put my money where my lockers aren't. good day sir.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

The lockers are needed on any obstacle where you have tires lifted off the ground. I have seen people without lockers get through areas with tires lifted, but the only way to do that is with momentum and speed, both of which break things, and get you off line quickly. Also lockers will allow you to take some more difficult lines than an unlocked vehicle. I have done many obstacles both locked, and the same unlocked, and there is a huge difference in the lines you can take, and the finesse you can use since you don't need the momentum to get you through.

As far as the lockers go the best one for reliability purposes is the Detroit, but it will be noticeable in daily driving. If you want the best one that will have no effect onhow your vehicle handles as a daily driver then go with an ARB.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will throw my 2 cents in, I have wheeled rigs fully locked, rear locked, and open. I have seen guys take open rigs over crazy obsticals, but ussaully with a combination of skill, momentum, and pure power. So technically speaking lockers are not Needed. But for me, and most weekend warrior, i like to go on a nice trip, not beat the rig up to much, and drive to work on monday. Lockers makes that alot easier and less stressfull. If you put the same driver in two rigs built the same, the only difference is lockers. His, or her, day is going to be alot smoother with the lockers than without.

Sal
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smcastillo
I will throw my 2 cents in, I have wheeled rigs fully locked, rear locked, and open. I have seen guys take open rigs over crazy obsticals, but ussaully with a combination of skill, momentum, and pure power. So technically speaking lockers are not Needed. But for me, and most weekend warrior, i like to go on a nice trip, not beat the rig up to much, and drive to work on monday. Lockers makes that alot easier and less stressfull. If you put the same driver in two rigs built the same, the only difference is lockers. His, or her, day is going to be alot smoother with the lockers than without.

Sal
No question about it. Lockers may not be mandatory for a skilled driver but not only do they give you the options of different lines and tougher trails, more than likely your rig will still be in one piece on Monday morning. Too much skinny pedal tears sh*t up. I torpedoed my spider gears this weekend and instead of going back in with new I am putting in a locker. Game over
Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Littlejon;1301065]The lockers are needed on any obstacle where you have tires lifted off the ground.

If your tire is off the ground, then we have standard the BLD brake lock differential. works great. HUMMER H1 and Landrover have used them for decades.
I never bad mouthed lockers, or Jeeps with lockers. I just stated they are not necessary, and i do drive my Jeep home. I guess my advice is really this. Dont invest tons of money into equipment that you dont need right now. If you are asking for types of lockers, then you probably are not that experianced. (assuming here could be wrong)
So take you JK out and learn what it is capable of and where it falls short. Find out what you as a driver are capable of and where you fall short. Learn to read the trails,the obstacles, etc. Then start investing your money where you feel you need it.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

I was 4 wheeling with a buddy in the snow/mud on Cleghorn a couple of winters ago. I remember his giant "4x4" Silverado slowly edging off the trail as the LHS front wheel spun wildly along with the RHS rear. I'll never forget that, thinking WOW, I gotta get a front locker to go along with my rear.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

For JKs the LSD + BLD combination will get you a long way. My factory rear LSD + BLD has done some amazing stuff and comes close to but not equal to a locker. Maybe 70 - 75% as good as a rear locker. I have been considering a Detriot TrueTrac for the front for some time rather than going full lockers front and rear. With the money I would save I could buy a winch and a pull pal.

If you need front a rear lockers then ARBs are the way to go, or else you could just go buy a Rubicon.

Quick Reply: What lockers for rear in 4 door