Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What lockers for rear in 4 door

Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lockers for rear in 4 door

Alright guys I am getting her lined out now. Got my tires today and am ordering my lift tommorrow. I have one more project that I want to get done. I want to get a rear locker installed. Now I do not know much about them, what are u guys running as far as rear lockers. (other than factory I do not have a rubicon. I have 3.73 gears
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

If you never plan on regearing, i think you should install an ARB back there. If you plan on regearing, it opens up a whole new can of worms. Heres why, tearing down a diff. is not cheap. If you plan on regearing, you might as well do it at the same time as your locker / lockers to avoid paying all that labor more than once. If you regear, you have to do both axles, so you might as well get lockers in both (if you ever plan to get a locker up front). This is what i went through when i was regearing. I was not planning on doing the lockers right away, but decided to do it all at one time to avoid paying for labor twice.

corey d
Old 08-22-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default I love my Detroit, But......

I love my Detroit locker. It's always on and I dont have to trust an electromagnet or air compressor, but you should know it won't be as smooth at low speed or in parking lots. I get a little "popping" and darting. It would probably be good if you could drive one first to see if you find it tolerable. If you don't like it there is always the airlockers and they all seem popular.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert
I love my Detroit locker. It's always on and I dont have to trust an electromagnet or air compressor, but you should know it won't be as smooth at low speed or in parking lots. I get a little "popping" and darting. It would probably be good if you could drive one first to see if you find it tolerable. If you don't like it there is always the airlockers and they all seem popular.
Not a big fan of a permanently locked rear. X2 on the ARB.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

I have the factory lockers in our Rubicon but all of my other 4X4's that I've had I have installed the Detroit locker in the rear.

It's about as simple and tough as it gets for a rear end locker. It take's a little bit to get used to but it's really not anything earth shattering. You will be happy with it once it's in.

Mikey
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

NO LOCKERS!!! they are WAY over rated!!! dont need them, never have , never will. IN the past 10 years I have never been in a situation where lockers would have made a diiference. The only time i have been hung up is when i sliiped off my line and have been high centered, so if no tires have traction then a locker would not have helped anyway. Lockers just make people try things they are not ready for. ( this opinion EXCLUDES PROFESIONAL driving)

2007 JK Unlimited 6 Speed 4.10 Gears
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
RocKrawler Front Lower Control Arm Mounting Bracket/Skid Plates
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mucho passion on the locker front

You probably have a point, If I make a mistake and high center it would be better to have a winch or a buddy with a chain, but I do believe that at least once in a while a locker comes in handy.

We all believe in what we personally have experienced i guess. On another thread someone as much as called me a moron because I didn't buy a selectable ARB.

I hate to admit it, but I do HOPE that my locker will help through some of my mistakes.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

There are many trails with obstacles that simply cannot be negotiated without some form of locker no matter how good of driver you are. Some trails require front only, some rear only, sometimes you need both axles. A winch is only helpful if you have something to winch to. Any type of locker will be a huge upgrade to your JK's off road ability.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If lockers never came in handy, Jeep would never have considered using them.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
NO LOCKERS!!! they are WAY over rated!!! dont need them, never have , never will. IN the past 10 years I have never been in a situation where lockers would have made a diiference. The only time i have been hung up is when i sliiped off my line and have been high centered, so if no tires have traction then a locker would not have helped anyway. Lockers just make people try things they are not ready for. ( this opinion EXCLUDES PROFESIONAL driving)
Come on down to Florida and get in some real mud

No Lockers See how the BLD does then!

Quick Reply: What lockers for rear in 4 door