Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Lockers to get?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Lockers to get?

I can not decide what lockers to get? I dont offroad that much, but i do wanna lock my rear and eventually my front and i am a DD. Basically i have read and read and found negatives to all lockers.

Im leaning towards ARB's because they have the free compressor available now and its not much more than the E lockers, but then i just read somewhere that the ARB's require axle upgrades and a bunch of costly other stuff as well is this true? Do ARB's come with there air lines or are those separate too?
What is a great selectable rear locker for around 800 bucks?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are getting a selectable Locker the ARB is the way to go.

David
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
If you are getting a selectable Locker the ARB is the way to go.

David
do they come with lines and is upgrading my axles something that is recomended?

Basically could i just buy an arb with the free compressor and that be all i have to do?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

No offense man, but how many posts are you going to make on this subject? I searched for threads started by you in the last month and there were at least 12-15 that had "locker" in the title and another handful about LSDs or upgrading axles in general (which had locker discussion within). You've inquired about the stock LSD, stock lockers, Auburn ected locker, spartan(?!) locker, ARB locker, aussie locker (on more than one occassion), and other general posts on lockers.

Why not bump these posts, as opposed to starting a new one every day? There are also many other posts not started by you that you can search and read (and I'm sure you have). What it comes down to is we can't make the decision for you!!!

Every locker has its pros and cons. Any locker can fail on the trail (stock e-locker, ARB, OX, Ected, whatever...) in the right (unfortunate) circumstances, so you can't really base your decision solely on negatives you read or change of failure (but should consider this in your decision). Chances are it may never fail (for every 1 my locker failed post there are probably 100 people running it and perfectly happy) however, especially if you are only doing mild wheeling and its mostly a DD.

Just make up your mind what you want, what you can afford, and do it. Get out there and start wheeling more instead of posting a new locker post each day or at least every other day. You aren't getting more than 3-5 responses in most of these posts b/c it's all been said before elsewhere and/or you got all the info you need and you just need to make the decision.

Sorry I must be in a bad mood, but seriously, search your name and threads you started and look how many locker/axle/lsd posts you've STARTED, let alone posted in, since 3/1/10...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do they come with lines and is upgrading my axles something that is recomended?

Basically could i just buy an arb with the free compressor and that be all i have to do?
Yes that is all you will need. But if you are putting a locker in you may want to think about changing gears at the same time.

David
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redrockin7
No offense man, but how many posts are you going to make on this subject? I searched for threads started by you in the last month and there were at least 12-15 that had "locker" in the title and another handful about LSDs or upgrading axles in general (which had locker discussion within). You've inquired about the stock LSD, stock lockers, Auburn ected locker, spartan(?!) locker, ARB locker, aussie locker (on more than one occassion), and other general posts on lockers.

Why not bump these posts, as opposed to starting a new one every day? There are also many other posts not started by you that you can search and read (and I'm sure you have). What it comes down to is we can't make the decision for you!!!

Every locker has its pros and cons. Any locker can fail on the trail (stock e-locker, ARB, OX, Ected, whatever...) in the right (unfortunate) circumstances, so you can't really base your decision solely on negatives you read or change of failure (but should consider this in your decision). Chances are it may never fail (for every 1 my locker failed post there are probably 100 people running it and perfectly happy) however, especially if you are only doing mild wheeling and its mostly a DD.

Just make up your mind what you want, what you can afford, and do it. Get out there and start wheeling more instead of posting a new locker post each day or at least every other day. You aren't getting more than 3-5 responses in most of these posts b/c it's all been said before elsewhere and/or you got all the info you need and you just need to make the decision.

Sorry I must be in a bad mood, but seriously, search your name and threads you started and look how many locker/axle/lsd posts you've STARTED, let alone posted in, since 3/1/10...
just trying to get different opinions and make sure i dont end up blowing money on junk, All my posts on lockers have been about different setups, Ected,Elocker,selectably,non selectable and now ARB...........no reason to get upset, just wanna get as many opinions as i can about each minor detailed question that i have, no offense taken just wanna be ready for when i hit the trails. Pop some midol and whenever you see my name feel free not to read my post lol
JK Super Freak

Now, since I busted your butt a little bit, here's my advise for probably the 4th or 5th time...

If you can afford two selectable lockers, get them. It will be better on a DD and if you only wheel mildly you won't even need lockers 90+% of the time. If you can only afford one locker, get a selectable rear and wait til' you get funds for selectable front. If you absolutely want both, but can only afford one selectable, get a selectable rear and an aussie up front.

You don't *need* to do anything else to your axles if you buy the right locker for what you have, but keep in mind if you wheel it hard enough to need lockers you might break things - axle shafts, c's, u-joints, whatever and with a D30 front its more likely than D44 rubi front just like that is more likely than a D60 front. You might not (just like locker might never break) but you might, so just be ready...

As for brands, everyone has an opinion and you can read multitude of threads about them on here or search for them (and have started many yourself which feel free to bump), but general consensus is that ARB is the best selectable and aussie is one of the best non-selectables. The other selectables work well (OX, Ected) most of the time, but can fail just like an ARB could. There are even stories of stock e-lockers failing, but I haven't read too many of those stories. It's probably easier to not go stock e-locker, as the easiest way to do that is to upgrade to rubi axles, which will cost you more than just buying two ARBs...

hope this helps and you didn't take my grilling too harshly. LOL.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redrockin7
Now, since I busted your butt a little bit, here's my advise for probably the 4th or 5th time...

If you can afford two selectable lockers, get them. It will be better on a DD and if you only wheel mildly you won't even need lockers 90+% of the time. If you can only afford one locker, get a selectable rear and wait til' you get funds for selectable front. If you absolutely want both, but can only afford one selectable, get a selectable rear and an aussie up front.

You don't *need* to do anything else to your axles if you buy the right locker for what you have, but keep in mind if you wheel it hard enough to need lockers you might break things - axle shafts, c's, u-joints, whatever and with a D30 front its more likely than D44 rubi front just like that is more likely than a D60 front. You might not (just like locker might never break) but you might, so just be ready...

As for brands, everyone has an opinion and you can read multitude of threads about them on here or search for them (and have started many yourself which feel free to bump), but general consensus is that ARB is the best selectable and aussie is one of the best non-selectables. The other selectables work well (OX, Ected) most of the time, but can fail just like an ARB could. There are even stories of stock e-lockers failing, but I haven't read too many of those stories. It's probably easier to not go stock e-locker, as the easiest way to do that is to upgrade to rubi axles, which will cost you more than just buying two ARBs...

hope this helps and you didn't take my grilling too harshly. LOL.

yeah thats helpful, im very OCD and once i get soemthing on my mind i have to find the perfect way to solve the problem
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Steven4est
Pop some midol and whenever you see my name feel free not to read my post lol
LOL - I don't need the midol bro, but good one... considering "you took no offense"

It just gets a slight bit old seeing the same (or very near same) locker posts over and over and over. The info is out there if you search and most has been given to you in threads you already made in the last week or two. These new posts where you get only 3-4 responses just clog up the search function for people trying to find the good, very informative posts with 30 responses and 3-5 pages of info.

Ah well, I gave you my opinion several times and I'm one of the few who has given you repeat opinions. I just think you need to take the info you have after the endless month of research on the topic and make a purchase and start wheeling it. I understand not wanting to waste money, but all of these products are generally pretty good, generally the same price range (other than aussie versus selectable), and all have pros and cons (some will fail - even the 'bulletproof' ARB).

EDIT: Also, David (@ Northridge) and some of our other vendors are a great resource - you could probably call him, for example, and ask him 10 questions and get good solid answers and opinions, quicker than it takes to make one post on here, let alone 5-10.

Last edited by redrockin7; 03-31-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

aaawww they kissed and made up. Thats why this forum is great. We all have the wants and needs for bigger and better! lol

Quick Reply: What Lockers to get?