Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Lift should I get?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Lift should I get?

Looking to go with 4 inch lift kit! What are good brands? What is the difference between short and long arm packages? Will a cheaper "economy" package be reliable enough? Thanks for the input!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

All your questions have been gone over many times elsewhere on this site and all other sites . Do a little investigation . Also , you get what you pay for , don't go cheap !
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have any questions on any of our 3.5" systems, let us know. Good luck with your build!

RK
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally LOVE Skyjacker lifts! I have a 4" in my Rubi

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130121_094241.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	411994

Click image for larger version

Name:	1632256632_4724236917177.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	411995

I've had nothing but good experiences with Skyjacker, but from what I hear those RK Suspensions mentioned above by sponsor, are very reliable too....

As for ur long/short arm questions, long arms with correct the geometry of the axles after lifting 4"+ u can get standard length adjustable control arms and correct the geometry, a long arm suspension will give u a much smoother ride **DISCLAIMER** IF NOT AN EXPERT but I'm sure other ppl here will chime in too, good luck with your build!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my rancho lift , I normally run rustys or rough country this was a big step up.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also have a 4" skyjacker lift but as ppl chime in so will their hate towards skyjacker. I guess everyone has different experiences though which is cool! Terra flex also has really good kits from what I hear. My friend has one on his jk and loves it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by RiverMonster81
Looking to go with 4 inch lift kit! What are good brands? What is the difference between short and long arm packages? Will a cheaper "economy" package be reliable enough? Thanks for the input!
Whats your budget? what size tires do you want to run?

What will you be doing with your jeep?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2 cents -
It will depend on what your plans are for your Jeep.
Tire size is the big one but also other mods and level of off road and how much off road -vs- highway.
I am running a 3.25 lift from RC with 35's on my Rubi.
Stock 4:10 gears are just okay for all around highway and city driving. I can live with it but some may not. The 35's do draw a bit of power. Mine is a 6 speed so I can always drop a gear if needed.
If your planning a 4" lift, I would guess you have more in mind than 35's and a blend of daily and off road.
Once you get to the point of bigger tires and maybe a higher degree of off road - you want to be better prepared for the abuses of the demands placed on your running gear with taller and wider tires and wheels. Also the weight of those tires and the ability of the suspension components to manage it and stay in place.
A big rolling brick with wobbly wheels is not what you want to be driving at 70 moph on the highway.
This is based on my experiences and only mine.
I am not an expert but I have been into the 4x4 trucks and lift kits with both my sons.
Sorry for the length.
Stay safe
Mandor6863
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverMonster81
What size of tires do you want to end up with? Let's start with that first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8 Then off to what size of lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE

Quick Reply: What Lift should I get?