Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What kind of grease fitting is this?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
like this...

you can find it on amazon - part #LNI 83278
Ouch! They're proud of that, aren't they?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zerks......

Well, when you finally get the proper needle for your zerks (which IMO should be the one you originally tried using, or the one WOL recommended); You still may have difficulty getting the grease into the bearing. The grease inside may be dried-out; and will greatly resist flowing. You may have to disassemble the bearing, clean it out, re-grease, and reassemble; the try the grease gun and needle again. If it works OK; then readjust your greasing schedule to grease more frequently, before the bearings get a chance to dry out again. My $0.02
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
...have no clue how to grease my new u-joints. ...
Originally Posted by JINGLES
... The grease inside may be dried-out; and will greatly resist flowing....
I happen to know that these are new u-joints since I've been following Jason's trials and tribulations on another thread for us Okies.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I happen to know that these are new u-joints since I've been following Jason's trials and tribulations on another thread for us Okies.
Thats correct Mark, these are brand new u-joints, I've had them on for less than 500 miles. And, as I said in the OP, I greased them up real good before I installed them. I used Pennzoil bearing grease, so I know it hasn't hardened yet.

This is simply a problem of me not knowing what I am doing.

I found the package my "needle" adapter came in. It's a Lu-Max brand, part number LX-1414. It's labeled as a "Narrow Needle Nose Grease Dispenser".

I pushed this needle adapter into the ball bearing on the zerk of a spare u-joint, and I could clearly see that it appears to be the right tool for the job. I can see that the ball-bearing is being inserted by this needle. But, the problem is that when I squeeze grease into it, it wants to flow back out to me instead of into the zerk.

For the time being, I bought a normal zerk fitting, and one by one I unscrewed the zerk it had, instead a normal one, greased it, and put the original zerk back. I, unfortunately, do not have enough clearance to leave a normal zerk. But, at least I've topped over the grease

I think the adapter WOL found is just like what I'm using, but with a rubber tip. I think that rubber tip might help to better keep the grease from flowing back out at me. I will have to pick up one of those from Amazon and give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem, and ordered the tool recommended by Tom Woods. Google the Plews-Lubrimatic #05-019.
It is a "Narrow Needle Nose" dispenser, not an injector needle. If you can stab yourself with it, then it is the wrong one.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoupSandwich
I had the same problem, and ordered the tool recommended by Tom Woods. Google the Plews-Lubrimatic #05-019.
It is a "Narrow Needle Nose" dispenser, not an injector needle. If you can stab yourself with it, then it is the wrong one.
Yep

That sounds just like what I already have...

I am pretty sure I am just not using this right. I think with some more practice I'll figure it out.

BTW, the one I am trying to use is the Lu-Max LX-1414, but it too is called a "Narrow Needle Nose".
Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, so much for the dried grease theory; but you did get some grease in there. What a time consuming job that was!
The only thing that works for me, concerning the needle dispenser; is extreme insertion pressure while squeezing the lube gun handle. I'm sure you've already found that you MUST apply the needle at an attitude that is as close to "perfectly aligned with the zerk-centerline" as possible.
This brings to mind something about the grease gun tool characteristics that helped me out. I had the tool that uses a long lever-type handle to dispense the grease; and I could not get enough pressure on the needle while levering the handle. I couldn't operate it with only one hand. I purchased the style gun that has a "hand-grip" style dispenser handle; and this allows me to squeeze the dispenser with one hand (even with my weaker left hand) at any weird angle. This frees up my stronger hand to apply enough pressure to the needle; so that it will not let the grease flow back.
I'm going broke dispensing all my 2cents here
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartangreen
Well I bought new...

And it came with...

From the website
speedwaymotors.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-and-Grease-Needle,43143.html"]http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Low-Profile-Grease-Zerks-and-Grease-Needle,43143.html
If the needle you show has an angle sliced out of end, it is the wrong one to apply grease to the fittings you show.
The proper adapter has a round end that fits the round cup on the grease fitting. It may be rubber or plastic on the end.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If the needle you show has an angle sliced out of end, it is the wrong one to apply grease to the fittings you show.
The proper adapter has a round end that fits the round cup on the grease fitting. It may be rubber or plastic on the end.
All I know is that's the fitting that came in the bag with the nipples. Grease goes in one end and out the other, and the U-joint in my CJ is lubricated.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartangreen
All I know is that's the fitting that came in the bag with the nipples. Grease goes in one end and out the other, and the U-joint in my CJ is lubricated.
Thanks
Right or wrong, you can't argue with success.

Quick Reply: What kind of grease fitting is this?