Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What issues arise from 37" tires and no lift ?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What issues arise from 37" tires and no lift ?

I used to run 35" tires and a 3.25" lift on my JKU. Lately I've been using the jeep a lot more for poor weather road trips, and camping with lots of Forrest road use more than rock crawling.

I sold the 35" tires as they were becoming worn, and returned the Jeep to factory ride height for fuel savings and comfort.

However, stock size tires look like shit. I would love to put some 37's on it and retain the factory ride height.

Currently I am running Dremel Tool modified fenders (flat).

I will be taking 2" off the rock rails, and hammering in or grinding down the pinch seem in the rear well. What else am I missing ? Will I need bump stops ? Before I could stuff the rear tires into the well and the only close contact point was the rock rail.

The benefits of these mods will be low center of gravity, ability to fit into my parkade (can't fit it with lift and 37's) and still have the ability to run gravel roads and do some snow wheeling.

Like I said, huge amounts of flex are not important for me, especially with lockers. The break over angle isn't a huge concern either. I have skid pans and I don't wheel alone.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Well even with pinch seams beat in and rails cut you will not be able to run 37s with no lift you might me able to get away with the Tf leveling kit but no way stock. Here's mine with all the stuff you did plus 2.5" lift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111201_153422.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	244121  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

There will be no fuel savings running 37's lol. You will need some sort of lift to make it work
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up planmans write ups on LCG lifts and big tires. He has a great formula to run big tires 37-40" on small lifts. But I have not seen anything with that big a tire with no lift unless you're willing to cut some serious sheet metal.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

im not sure you could fit those even with cutting and stuff. your wheels would need low backspacing too
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

I will one day go bigger than 35's if I can afford it haha
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Greeting close to getting mine done as your thinking

Proper back spacing on wheels and pushing the rear axle back in conjunction with the pinch weld rail mod got me there. That and some bumper mods.

I am also running stock bump stops and have some control arm contact up front at full lock. They would hit with 35s as well, more of a backspace thing.

The tires suck up nice into the fenders and I don't have any metal to rubber contact, crept for the front LCA.

Wound I call this setup a great rock crawling setup, no. Good overall with the type of off roading I have been up to as of late.

I spent many hours flexing, twisting, and checking overall clearance issues.

Quick Reply: What issues arise from 37" tires and no lift ?