Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What the hell is that noise?!?!?!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is that noise?!?!?!

Gents,
Sent this to Zone, maybe some of you have an explanation.

I've got probably 10K trouble free miles on my 3.5" lift up until this past week when I was driving cross country...

At highway speed (60-70mph) when going over any kind of dip in the road, as the suspension bottoms out, I'm getting a notable vibration from front drivers area under my feet. Don't feel it in the steering. It's got the frequency of a tire rub (very loud, high speed vibration), but has a metallic sound to it. Like the splines of the drive shaft rotating on something metal. I've gotten under the jeep several times and I see no signs on either the tires, fenders, fender wells, bumper, rock rails, etc. of any rub anywhere. Checked the drive shafts, no rubbing there, nor do I see how it could. I'm completely baffled. I really doubt the suspension is bottoming out on the bump stops. I've got an ARB front bumper which clears the 35" Goodyear MTR's with mucho room to spare. Their on stock Moab wheels with 1.5" spacers. Never had any rub problems off road with the sway bar disconnected. Got your extended front sway bar links as well, not the stock rear ones.

Any ideas? I'm completely out of ideas. Only happens at high speed.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

is there rubbing on the track bar some people have that problem
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll look, but off the top of my head I don't see how. There's nothing rotating close to it if memory serves me correct.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's GOTTA be your flux capacitor.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Check your driveshaft boot(s), sounds like the DS is getting ready to exploded.

3.5" lift, do you have adjustable control arms?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on the driveshaft. Do you have the OEM driveshaft or aftermarket? If it is still the stock one (larger diameter than aftermarket) there is a good chance that it is rubbing on the side of your tranny pan when your front suspension is compressed. It could either be the DS itself, or the boot. It should be easy to see if it is...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll look again, I didn't see any scuffs or marks on the drive shaft, and didn't see how the DS could compress up that far. Seems like it would've done it if it was stock too, seeing as how it's a level compression, and not hitting the bump stops.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got a response from them via email, he's forwarding it on to R&D.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HornetBall
I'll look again, I didn't see any scuffs or marks on the drive shaft, and didn't see how the DS could compress up that far. Seems like it would've done it if it was stock too, seeing as how it's a level compression, and not hitting the bump stops.
look at the boot at the transfercase...
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default What is that Noise?

I had the very same problem, then it showed itself on the freeway at 65 mph. The stock joint at the transfer case got red hot and caught the rubber seal on fire. I am sure glad I carry a fire extinguisher mounted to my driver seat base. New Tatton's front and rear shafts ($400.00 each total cost including shipping) are being installed (by me) today and tomorrow. I had them in the mail prior to this problem, because of the threads posted on this site about the need to replace the stock shafts if there is any lift added to your ride. Curtis Tatton makes an excellent product (801) 979- 4908.

Quick Reply: What the hell is that noise?!?!?!