Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What the heck is this?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Y, I was kinda thinking garage door opener as well. I mounted a couple buttons in my a-pillar, that are wired to an actual garage door opener hidden in my dash. That way, someone can't simply swipe garage door opener when my jeep has no top or doors (It's very easy to figure out where someone lives and go steal their junk), but I don't loose functionality of having a door opener. That is one thing I would have liked to have in the jeep.....some sort of "homelink".

If you pull the cover off the side of your dash, can you tell what the two wires are running to?
The following users liked this post:
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In my last Jeep I found a similar switch under my seat. I clicked it on and off several times and saw nothing. Well at least I thought it was nothing.

Fast forward a few hours, the sun has gone down, and it is now dark outside. I look out my front window and ask myself, "what the hell is glowing blue under my Jeep?!?" I go out to investigate and find out the owner before me had installed blue rock lights under the Jeep. I couldn't see it during the day and had left them on!

Long story but make sure you check at night too to see if you notice anything.

As others have said trace the wires back. Also check to see if it is powered. Interesting!
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be for a type of Uconnect or phone operated device? My wife’s Grand Cherokee has a similar button and that’s what it is for.
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog_jku
Could it be for a type of Uconnect or phone operated device? My wife’s Grand Cherokee has a similar button and that’s what it is for.
OMG someone from my part of Texas, sup bud. And just trace the wires back
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

my guess is a vehicle locator device. Some large dealers have so many vehicles on their lot they install devices to tell them where the vehicles are at any given time. stupid they would have used screws in the plastic to install them if that is what it is. It could also be a device someone installed to get a discount on insurance etc. super easy to trace the wires which I would do.
iloozealot (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Everyone! It is a 3 wire button of some kind. I have power, ground, and a purple unknown wire. When I push the button nothing seems to happen with the jeep on or off.

So it looks like I will be chasing down some wires. I was trying to avoid having to do under dash gymnastics but this may be easier now that I have a removable top.

Last edited by iloozealot; 04-29-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

This is a 3 wire switch of some kind. Power, Ground, and Purple lol. It is currently powered and it is illuminated 24/7. If I push the button nothing happens that I am aware of.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

traction control kill switch? although you said nothing happens with the jeep on..."started" on? or just key in ignition turned to "on"
Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

I would be tracing wires lol. If it was a traction control kill switch all sorts of lights would come on.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What the heck is this

https://secure.moparevts.com/

Again it's part of the EVTS System see above

Quick Reply: What the heck is this?