Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What have I done wrong???

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run trail grapplers on 33's and I used to have a great ride until I lifted the jeep. There is a great article about "death wobble" and how if your lift isn't installed correctly, that can give you the wobble. Talks about the steering stabilizer will mask the problem but it will come back. You can search for that article. It was written by "planman" on June 7, 2010.

I plan on getting my ride aligned as I went offloading and jacked up my alignment and that's when my wobble started to occur. Hopefully it's an alignment issue and not a suspension issue. Look up that article though, it talks about wobble etc...it's a real good read.

Good luck getting it fixed.

P.s. as soon as I got the trail grapplers, my ride quality sucked. It was lofty and i'd get tossed to the left or right without warning. I've been able to conclude that it's because the tire is so dang WIDE. 12.5" wide doesn't fit into the nicely grooved streets we drive on...so chances are, if you're having the same "flighty" steering issues...just gotta suck it up...all these stock tired cars have created little grooves in the streets...look at the streets on a rainy day...you will see how the little puddles form in each lane in those grooves.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=JC's Unlimited;2712181]I run trail grapplers on 33's and I used to have a great ride until I lifted the jeep. There is a great article about "death wobble" and how if your lift isn't installed correctly, that can give you the wobble. Talks about the steering stabilizer will mask the problem but it will come back. You can search for that article. It was written by "planman" on June 7, 2010.

QUOTE]

Yeah I read that thread by planman, he is my hero!!! Which is what lead me to replacing my track bar. I feel you about the roads and the grooves, as I have that same scenario going on, but I am okay with that, it is just feeling every little bump that is bothering me. I am going to drop the psi to around 26 to see what that does for me this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the input.

PS- WOL has a write up for a DIY alignment, that might save you some cash!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I think its Ball Joints, there not the best to start with and the big tires !! check your ball joints
Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

This is why your steering sucks

"OME HD springs 619/618 - " I am thinking this has something to do with the rough ride"
TF Leveling Kit -"

Correct me if I am wrong but that amounts to 4" of lift in the front with stock sway bar links and stock control arms.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68redcat
I think its Ball Joints, there not the best to start with and the big tires !! check your ball joints
x2 on this, I have known Ball Joins to fail in less than 20K miles on a stock JKU.
You can check them yourself; jack the front so the tire is just an inch or so off the ground and use a pry-bar under the tire to see if it "pops" up and down unweighted - if it has movement I would say Ball Joints.

Larger tires would increase the potential of this problem happening.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RubiKing
This is why your steering sucks

"OME HD springs 619/618 - " I am thinking this has something to do with the rough ride"
TF Leveling Kit -"

Correct me if I am wrong but that amounts to 4" of lift in the front with stock sway bar links and stock control arms.
Probably a little more than 4, I do have the JKS Quicker Disco's, and just now ordered Rusty's adjustable LCA's and JKS adjustable track bar... will see how that goes..... if that doesn't help I am going to remove the TF leveling kit.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
4.5" net lift on stock control arms and without a drag link flip kit would surely bring the suck.

Then, run shocks and swaybar links that are too short for a 4.5"-5" lift, and it would be even worse.

Then, do it with stock trackbars and everything binds earlier.

Add load E Nittos at 30 psi added to the above, and the ride and steering would be horrible.

Remove the leveling kit.

Run shocks, swaybar links, and brakelines for a 3" lift.

Add front lower adjustable control arms to correct your caster.

Do front and rear adjustable trackbars to center your axles.

Run your Nittos at less than 28 psi.

And your jeep will be enjoyable to drive again.

And thanks for the kind words.
Will adjust the Nittos ASAP, probably to around 26psi, front adjustable track bar is in route (JKS) and LCA's are in route also (Rusty's adjustable) for the front. When I get all this on with the new stablilzer (I know this only masks problems) hopefully it will ride better...If not I am taking your suggestion and removing the TF leveling kit.

But you mention about the shocks not being the correct length? I thought that David told me that the Bilsteins I got were for lifts of 3"-5", which is the ballpark I am in, and same thing with the JKS quicker Discos I have, they have the swaybar just a few degrees above parallel..... this should be okay right???

Trying to avoid the costly drag link flip kit since I am right on the cusp of needing it...any other options for me?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 7.5"'s of total suspension lift 4"coils that measure 4.5" after install and settling and 3" spacers with 6" shocks/swaybar links with a drop pitman arm and front and rear track bar brackets and adjustable front lower control arms with 35" nitto trail grapplers and i don't have ANY of your issues. anything over 3" you really need a drop pitman arm and adjustable track bars or brackets at a MINIMUM! With the parts you've already ordered your on your way to fixing your issues but you still need to correct your steering angle with either a high-steer kit or cheaper alternative at least a drop pitman arm.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E Rated tires are overkill and will make the ride very harsh
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
E Rated tires are overkill and will make the ride very harsh
agreed...but they are soooooo nice to have on the rocks

Quick Reply: What have I done wrong???