Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What happens if you don't check wheel spacer torque......... duh.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
Why don't you just do the work yourself?
ding, ding, ding... I have had dealer techs tighten the lug nuts so much on my Jeep that I've needed to stand on the lug wrench to loosen them. I am 200+ lbs. NEVER TRUST A TIRE SHOP OR DEALER AND ALWAYS CHECK THEIR WORK YOURSELF. When I bought my new tires from Sam's Club, the tire tech actually used a torque wrench to properly torque each lug nut. It was actually part of their checklist. (I was impressed)
Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
Why don't you just do the work yourself?
Well i did save $700-800 for the installation of my lift because i did it myself. Only reason i brought it there was to double check everything and have a 4wheel alignment.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, I stayed there in the bay and watched the techs the whole time. Used a torque wrench without me asking although I had to supply the locktite. Quality spacers, locktite, and proper torque. Enough said.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by donny27
The same thing could happen without wheel spacers. The wheel studs broke it wasn't the spacer flying off
Exactly. If the wheel spacers were securely attached to the hub as the gentleman stated, then it was not a spacer issue, it was a wheel/lug issue.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Bottom line, I guess, is don't trust the tire shop to torque your wheels or spacers correctly. If your lucky you get someone who'll torque to spec, if he knows what that means, but wheels, especially new wheels tend to loosen up over a few hundred miles.
I'll retorque mine before a wheeling trip, when I rotate, do an oil change, or just when I'm bored, lol. I love to hear a click.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you are okay!!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you for posting this. You just may save a life because of it !!
I just installed spacers and wheels about 200 miles ago. I have checked them twice for torque. Both times were good! I like the locktite idea. Sounds like a project for next weekend !!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

..............Come on people, If you let other folks play with your nuts you gotta check them
Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RKracing
..............Come on people, If you let other folks play with your nuts you gotta check them
Best thing to do is invest in a torque wrench and do it yourself. Get ya a nice floor jack and torque away if your gonna run spacers....Nuff said!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 06-08-2014, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok after reading this I went home and checked every wheel spacer and all of them we're lose. I guess I'll check them more often now !

Quick Reply: What happens if you don't check wheel spacer torque......... duh.