Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What happens if you don't check wheel spacer torque......... duh.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
So this wasn't really a torque on the spacer issue...it was a torque on your wheel lugs issue, right?

I agree, looks like the wheel lugs were put on way too tight
Yeah definitely the wheel lugs. I guess the argument would be about the quality of the studs on the spacers. I assume they are up to oem specs rather than risk liability. Which leads me back to tire shop is a little over-zealous with the torque settings on the gun.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the many reasons why i dont want spacers.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the spacers were torqued to 95lbs with red loctite applied, they didn't budge! It's my own fault for not checking the torque on the wheels themselves after the shop put them back on. I am just glad the wheel didn't decide to leave the Jeep on the highway doing 60mph. Could have been a hell of alot worse.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

When I was thinkin' with my Cajun mind about gettin' some spacers on my rig, I read up on ALOT of threads on JK-Forum and decided to spend the extra money to NOT need wheel spacers for this reason! I will never install something that can actually kill someone because of stupidity! Not callin' the OP stupid at all, so don't take this that way, but #1, you should have kept checking your torque, #2, never trust a tire shop that handles Honda Accords and such more than a 4x4 shop...even then I would check my torque. I would never install that crap no matter how awesome it makes my rig look!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

The same thing could happen without wheel spacers. The wheel studs broke it wasn't the spacer flying off
Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by donny27
The same thing could happen without wheel spacers. The wheel studs broke it wasn't the spacer flying off
True, but more issues with spacers than lose lugs on a wheel. If spacers are not torqued right and checked regularly, this is what happens. To much BS with spacers for me to deal with.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
True, but more issues with spacers than lose lugs on a wheel. If spacers are not torqued right and checked regularly, this is what happens. To much BS with spacers for me to deal with. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Same thing could happen to a wheel with no spacer if not torqued right and checked regularly.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
When I was thinkin' with my Cajun mind about gettin' some spacers on my rig, I read up on ALOT of threads on JK-Forum and decided to spend the extra money to NOT need wheel spacers for this reason! I will never install something that can actually kill someone because of stupidity! Not callin' the OP stupid at all, so don't take this that way, but #1, you should have kept checking your torque, #2, never trust a tire shop that handles Honda Accords and such more than a 4x4 shop...even then I would check my torque. I would never install that crap no matter how awesome it makes my rig look!

I dont even trust 4x4 shops. 4wheelparts here in Las Vegas let me leave the lot 3 times without everything being torqued down on my lift. Me being me i always get up underneath it and double check it. All 3 times i have found one if not multiple jam nuts lose on my control arms.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
I dont even trust 4x4 shops. 4wheelparts here in Las Vegas let me leave the lot 3 times without everything being torqued down on my lift. Me being me i always get up underneath it and double check it. All 3 times i have found one if not multiple jam nuts lose on my control arms.
Unreal. That kind of crap is unforgivable.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Why don't you just do the work yourself?

Quick Reply: What happens if you don't check wheel spacer torque......... duh.