Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What happened to my mpg's

Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a post above where someone with 35s and 5.13s is getting around 17mpg. I have a similar setup with my 07, with stock bumpers, shrocworks rock sliders, no chips and I barely make 12 mpg (from dash) now winter time here in New England. Does this sound right? I know the lift and tires was heading in this direction, but now 5 yrs later I can believe how bad it is. Maybe I am just getting more and more suspicious if something else is wrong like the OP having coil issues.

Can anyone comment on what I should be getting?... dash computer wise. I know the dash is not really accurate but its still a measurement that I have been monitoring.

Last edited by JRunner01; 01-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRunner01
I read a post above where someone with 35s and 5.13s is getting around 17mpg. I have a similar setup with my 07, with stock bumpers, shrocworks rock sliders, no chips and I barely make 12 mpg (from dash) now winter time here in New England. Does this sound right? I know the lift and tires was heading in this direction, but now 5 yrs later I can believe how bad it is. Maybe I am just getting more and more suspicious if something else is wrong like the OP having coil issues.

Can anyone comment on what I should be getting?... dash computer wise. I know the dash is not really accurate but its still a measurement that I have been monitoring.
Measure by hand. It's a lot more accurate. Did you take that front dam piece off under the bumper? That has been known to drop 1-2mpgs
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MacBeJeepin
Measure by hand. It's a lot more accurate. Did you take that front dam piece off under the bumper? That has been known to drop 1-2mpgs
Yep... the air dam is removed and most of the time have been running the plow frame, not the plow itself, under there. I try to take it off during the spring summer fall for wheeling, but usually the wheeling takes a back seat and so does the plow frame coming off. So that probably has something to do with it.... but 5 mpgs?... that seems like more than the plow frame.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm willing to bet thats 2-3mpg's because of the plow/plow mount. Anything that restricts airflow below really makes it hard for good aerodynamics.

Have you recalibrated speedo after bigger tires? That might be next thing to fix it
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

I'm willing to bet thats 2-3mpg's because of the plow/plow mount. Anything that restricts airflow below really makes it hard for good aerodynamics.

Have you recalibrated speedo after bigger tires? That might be next thing to fix it
No I have not. In fact I just was considering the VIVID device from superchips to help accomplish just that and hopefully add some more mpgs via the fuel economy program itself.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRunner01
No I have not. In fact I just was considering the VIVID device from superchips to help accomplish just that and hopefully add some more mpgs via the fuel economy program itself.
Yep, I would get that fixed, because it will make a 1-2 mpg difference, and the other loss? Chuck that up to the plow mount & lift. Now it should be solved. Go have a
Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiBus
Just out of curiosity, why would you push 37's with 4.88's? Why not go up to at least 5.13's, or even 5.38's for that matter?

Currently running 37x12.50R17 Trail Grapplers, which are supposedly one of the heavier 37" tires, and I'm averaging about 15.5 mpg on stock 4.10's.
I run 37s and 4.88s and I am running 3k rpms at 75. I wish I would of went 4.56. The power feels great around town but don't like running 3k on the freeway that's why I only get 12 mpg.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Yep, I would get that fixed, because it will make a 1-2 mpg difference, and the other loss? Chuck that up to the plow mount & lift. Now it should be solved. Go have a
Agreed

Do we know if these programmers actually get better mpgs by using them, that is in addition or above the speedo \ tires \ gears fix?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I average 12.2-12.5 on my dash computer. I've done a real calculation too and its very close to those numbers. My speedo is calibrated with the ProCal and I'm running Toyo 35's and 5.13's. Running stock bumpers. Only weight added is a Powertank, High Lift Jack and tools.

I can only dream of getting more than 15mpg but that will never happen since my drive to and from work involves a lot of traffic.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Puddingpants
I average 12.2-12.5 on my dash computer. I've done a real calculation too and its very close to those numbers. My speedo is calibrated with the ProCal and I'm running Toyo 35's and 5.13's. Running stock bumpers. Only weight added is a Powertank, High Lift Jack and tools.

I can only dream of getting more than 15mpg but that will never happen since my drive to and from work involves a lot of traffic.
So it seems a tuner is not going to help me?

Did your procal also adjust for the gear and tire size new values... is this really the root of what is meant by a speedo recalibration?

Quick Reply: What happened to my mpg's