Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What happened to my mpg's

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

33"km2's 3" lift 1" body 17" rims. 13.5 around town. And around 17 on highway. Replaced plugs with E3's crap, went right back to stock after a few months. Ended up replacing my coil pack wires and plugs. Coil #3 was bad. And those are the mpg I'm getting.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

That's what I get for typing tired. It should say "you don't get ground clearance from just tires." You have to do it with suspension, then tires. JPOP - You can't change from 29" to 44" tires Without a lift.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 12-13-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
That's what I get for typing tired. It should say "you don't get ground clearance from just tires." You have to do it with suspension, then tires. JPOP - You can't change from 29" to 44" tires Without a lift.
But, you do gain ground clearance from just tires.

There is nothing wrong with being worried about mileage. Might as well have your cake and eat it too.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
You have to do it with suspension, then tires. JPOP - You can't change from 29" to 44" tires Without a lift.
You need to read planman's no lift 44s thread. Lots of cutting and trimming involved.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

I'll never understand these people who think if you drive a Jeep you should not care how much gas you're burning. It makes absolutely no sense.

Like I said, for the average person, every 1 MPG is equal to $20 bucks per month. Saving just 3 MPGs is enough to make a significant difference for the average person.. that's money to pay bills with, buy diapers, buy mods for the Jeep, take your wife to dinner, etc. Just because you drive a Jeep, that does NOT mean you shouldn't be fuel conscious.

For the record, I've owned two Ford Ranger V6s, a Jeep Liberty V6, a Jeep Commander V6, a Jeep Grand Cherokee I-6, and a Jeep Wrangler I-4 (not including other V8 and diesel 4x4s). My 2011 JKU is the MOST fuel efficient V6 4x4 I have ever owned. In fact, except for my Liberty CRDs I used to have, this JKU is the most fuel efficient 4x4 I've ever driven period. When stock, I could put up 19.5 MPGs in mixed city/highway driving! I can still do 18 in the Summer.

Now tell me, what's wrong with wanting to keep it that way? I can hit the trails on select weekends and camp and enjoy the outdoors, but in daily commuting back and forth to work I'm saving cash weekly with the P265s instead of the LT285s. Sounds like a pretty smart way to do it to me. I'll gladly sacrifice 0.5" of ground clearance to put $40 bucks a month back in my budget.

Last edited by WXman; 12-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 15k on my 2011 2Dr Hard Top Automatic. Nitto 295/70/17's, 4:88's & 3.5 lift. I also use Amsoil Fluids threw out the Drivetrain. 16-17 City, 19-21 Hwy.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WXman
I'll never understand these people who think if you drive a Jeep you should not care how much gas you're burning. It makes absolutely no sense.

Like I said, for the average person, every 1 MPG is equal to $20 bucks per month. Saving just 3 MPGs is enough to make a significant difference for the average person.. that's money to pay bills with, buy diapers, buy mods for the Jeep, take your wife to dinner, etc. Just because you drive a Jeep, that does NOT mean you shouldn't be fuel conscious.

For the record, I've owned two Ford Ranger V6s, a Jeep Liberty V6, a Jeep Commander V6, a Jeep Grand Cherokee I-6, and a Jeep Wrangler I-4 (not including other V8 and diesel 4x4s). My 2011 JKU is the MOST fuel efficient V6 4x4 I have ever owned. In fact, except for my Liberty CRDs I used to have, this JKU is the most fuel efficient 4x4 I've ever driven period. When stock, I could put up 19.5 MPGs in mixed city/highway driving! I can still do 18 in the Summer.

Now tell me, what's wrong with wanting to keep it that way? I can hit the trails on select weekends and camp and enjoy the outdoors, but in daily commuting back and forth to work I'm saving cash weekly with the P265s instead of the LT285s. Sounds like a pretty smart way to do it to me. I'll gladly sacrifice 0.5" of ground clearance to put $40 bucks a month back in my budget.
Well stated Sir.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget there is winter blend fuel out there. I used to get 19.5 to 20 on my JK with 33s and 3.21, now its like 17mpg.

Stock, I was getting 23 hwy!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Don't forget there is winter blend fuel out there. I used to get 19.5 to 20 on my JK with 33s and 3.21, now its like 17mpg.

Stock, I was getting 23 hwy!
Yes, the winter blend fuel SUCKS.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I installed my coil pack, wires, and plugs last night. I didn't get the E3 plugs like I had planned, but I did get some Champions. The gap is a little hotter and the plugs seem to like their new home. I can feel quite a bit of difference. Having a hotter spark and more complete burn makes me wonder if I coud tune a little more power out of this engine.

When I get around to it, I will head to the shop and make some dyno runs. If all goes right, I will post the results and tune.

Quick Reply: What happened to my mpg's