Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What happened to my mpg's

Old 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting 17.5 mpg on 35's with 5:13's
Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
19.2 with stock bicycle tires, 15 with 285/75s on mine. It IS the tires. You're adding width (rolling resistence), height (leverage against drivetrain), weight (almost double the weight of the stock 225s), and air turbulence under and around your Jeep. Basically everything you can possibly do to kill mileage, that's what you've done with large tires.

Hence, the reason I sold my 285s after only 2 months and just bought 265s this week.
um, why not just buy a volvo? I think you're the only jeep owner here that is going for smaller rubber

Just busing your chops... that's one of the great things about jeeps... to each his/her own. Personally, I don't focus on mpg with a jeep... it's a jeep. If I wanted mpg I'd get a prius (Not!)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Putting 33's on mine in summer.was just curious in mpg would go up with 31's because my brother wants to put 31's on his jeep.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bubbacon

um, why not just buy a volvo? I think you're the only jeep owner here that is going for smaller rubber

Just busing your chops... that's one of the great things about jeeps... to each his/her own. Personally, I don't focus on mpg with a jeep... it's a jeep. If I wanted mpg I'd get a prius (Not!)
Because I realized that 265s lose only a measly 0.5 inches of ground clearance compared to 285s......but 265s will save the average guy $40 bucks per month on gas alone. I feel like for the first time ever I actually did the smart thing, rather than just what I wanted.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

You never get ground clearance from tires. That's a suspension thing. Also, like someone said above - you don't look for MPG with a Wrangler. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
You never get ground clearance from tires. That's a suspension thing.
Does this mean that if I replaced 29" stock tires with 44" boggers the vehicle wouldn't sit higher?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

You never get ground clearance from tires. That's a suspension thing. Also, like someone said above - you don't look for MPG with a Wrangler. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Uhhh. Please explain to me how you figure that you don't get ground clearance from bigger tires? The only way to get more clearance for your axle and pumkin is with bigger tires.... You have to lift your Jeep to fit those bigger tires
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

You never get ground clearance from tires.
Wow. Now I have heard everything.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont really worry about mileage but that all seems weird....
Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Ah, eh,... Wrong!

32" tire to a 35" tire = 3" diameter gain /2 = 1.5" of added height at axle. You can add a 6" lift, but if you don't increase the size of your tire your axle and diff will remain at same height off the ground, so while the frame and tub would be higher, your axle won't clear any more obstacle height. With larger tires, it will.

Quick Reply: What happened to my mpg's