Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What going on here?

Old 10-16-2016, 05:50 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Sounds like you have more going on then is thought. Have you had the Jeep since new or buy it pre-owned? Looks like a sizeable spacer lift to be running stock control arms, etc with the squirreliness being a major sign. Did you install the lift? Another concern is with the stability control light on you may get yourself into an unexpected situation since the Jeep already thinking it is about to spin and that will be exacerbated when you turn harder one way or the other which will now further induce the system to apply the anti lock braking possibly leading to a crash as you won't have the braking power you need. My daughters jeep was just hit, the wheel is a half turn out at least and she had that exact situation happen I just described and fortunately she didn't hit anything. I would have to say you have got to have a really bent component under there somewhere and with that axle off that much I can't imagine your Jeep isn't crabbing down the road. The thing is you're not going to know how bad since you can't tell how much your actaully adjusting the steering wheel driving since the steering wheel is already upside down. Get it looked at.

Don't be talkin all crazy like that, I have enough stress lmao I got the Jeep pre owned, had floyds down in Alabama do the spacer lift (ex got it as a gift) they said it was a pain in the ass but it's been over 2 or 3 years since then. I did have a problem burning out the inside of the driver side tire but since replacing track bar up front it wasn't as bad but still persisted until I completely replaced everything and now it seems to have stoped. Iv been watching the tire and everything seems even. As for the ESP thing I will get it fixed asap but so far haven't had any issues with turning, matter fact it almost seems disabled
Old 10-16-2016, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AJ_
Good idea, I decided to measure distance between the front and rear tire, inside to inside. The passenger is at 5ft and the driver is at 4ft 10in. How in the hell could this be? I mean the bushing could cause a 2 inch difference could it?

Measure the far outer of the axle tubes - or inner c's. Don't measure the tire - if your steering wheel is just slightly - and you have low offset wheels, this will be exaggerated.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if it's the angle of the pic or my eyes. But it looks like the drivers control arm has more of a bend to it.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You really need to measure all the arms. And straighten your steering wheel. It only takes 10 minutes.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Is the driver upper CA straight and the passenger bent? Hard to tell from the picture but on my '14 they were both straight as you can see from the picture of my take-offs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	659040   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	659041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc Parts 015 (Small).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	659043  

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-17-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:07 AM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You really need to measure all the arms. And straighten your steering wheel. It only takes 10 minutes. Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment Is the driver upper CA straight and the passenger bent? Hard to tell from the picture but on my '14 they were both straight as you can see from the picture of my take-offs.
Found the issue... drivers side lower control arm mount is bent.. a few months ago this lady cut me off and forced me into the curb on the median... so my next question is wtf do I do now??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3227139924.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	659086  
Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cut it off and weld on a new one. Go heavy duty with it at the same time.

That doesn't look like a 2" variance to me so you may have more going on.

Jeep JK HD Lower Control Arm Mounts

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-18-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
Found the issue... drivers side lower control arm mount is bent.. a few months ago this lady cut me off and forced me into the curb on the median... so my next question is wtf do I do now??
I thought it was off a bit.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Cut it off and weld on a new one. Go heavy duty with it at the same time.

Jeep JK HD Lower Control Arm Mounts

That doesn't look like a 2" variance to me so you may have more going on.
Yup... if it was enough to bed the mount, probably look at the control arm and the mount on the axle side too.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
Yup... if it was enough to bed the mount, probably look at the control arm and the mount on the axle side too.
X2

I mangled mine when I rear ended a vw bug. Pushed my axle back a few inches on the drivers side - had to cut it off, weld on new ones, and got adjustable LCA's to get caster in check.

I bet that's where the additional distance is from. The frame mount didn't look like it would cause it to be off that much - bet the arm is tweaked and bushing is f'd up.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ_
I'm assuming a lot of my problems are coming from this coil spring spacers. The only variable I see is the drive shaft. It's the only thing I can see pulling the drivers side back. It drives meh, pretty squirrelly whenever there are lines in the road and some steering wheel play. Esp and abs lights are on but I assumed it was from the steering wheel being upside down
Take a straight edge and place on the left lower control rod and measure the gap at the bend and repeat on the passenger side. From the pics it looks like the drivers side is bent inward more. It could be just the angle of the pics.

R/
Will

Quick Reply: What going on here?