Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What gears do i have??

Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gears do i have??

M running Mickey t"s 35s and I'm wondering about my gearing. In 6th gear about 70 mph my revs are about 2500. I still have pull in 6th and that leads me to think my gearing has been changed before I bought it.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whatever your gears are, and assuming that your speedometer is calibrated, you dont need to regear with this setup.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

jack up the front while the jeep is in 2 wheel drive. chalk a line on the inside of the wheel and one on the front drive shaft. Turn the drive shaft until the tire turns one full rotation. If it is just less than 4 rotations it is 3.73 gears, if it is just over 4 rotations it's 4.10's and so on. I have not done this myself, but I read about it on another forum.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
jack up the front while the jeep is in 2 wheel drive. chalk a line on the inside of the wheel and one on the front drive shaft. Turn the drive shaft until the tire turns one full rotation. If it is just less than 4 rotations it is 3.73 gears, if it is just over 4 rotations it's 4.10's and so on. I have not done this myself, but I read about it on another forum.
Make sure both tires turn equally, though. Otherwise, it will throw off the ratio.

Or, jack up one tire, and turn the driveshaft until the tire turns two revolutions.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by natebri2575
M running Mickey t"s 35s and I'm wondering about my gearing. In 6th gear about 70 mph my revs are about 2500. I still have pull in 6th and that leads me to think my gearing has been changed before I bought it.
Measure the tires (since they are NOT 35 inches tall) and plug the number into the appropriate chart in the drivetrain faq's.

The more accurate method would be to rotate, as noted above.

Quick Reply: What gears do i have??