Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what gear ratio 488 or 513 ?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a couple questions.

Can I order the 5:13 gears from the factory when I order my Jeep?

If these are only after market products what is the cost of the gears, and how much is the installation costs?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yellowbull
I've got a couple questions.

Can I order the 5:13 gears from the factory when I order my Jeep?

If these are only after market products what is the cost of the gears, and how much is the installation costs?
a couple is 2, this is 3 questions, that means a few :toung:

Nope, lowest from the factory is 4.11. These are aftermarket.

cost of gears $225X2 = $450
front and rear install kits = $200

Instalation price will vary depending on how bad the place wants to rape you I would fid a buddy with the tools or ask around the local race track/ circle track places as those guys usualy do it for cheap and are good at it.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ironhorsecowboy
my fiance' and i bought our jk unlimited in march,and so far we love it.this is my first experience with the newer jeeps.i grew up near lake tahoe,and cut my wheeling teeth on the rubicon.most of my experience is with older(yj) wranglers,and landcruiser fj40s.

so far im very impressed with the jk,and angela drives it daily back and forth to work.my plans for the jeep are a 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires.angela is only 5'2 and i cant get out of control with the height of the jeep.its not going to be wheeled very much,mostly driving around out in our pastures.since we live in texas there arent very many places to go rock crawling.

ive seen many posts on the gears everyone is running,4.88,5.13 etc etc.
ive seen no mention of 4.56 gears and 33 inch tires.we have the 4.10 gears in it now,and i dont think id have to change the carrier to run 4.56s.has anyone done this?i think 4.88s and 33s are just a bit too steep for what we do.id still like to be able to pull the boat well,but retain the fuel mileage that we now enjoy.-brian

I dont believe anyone makes 4.56 yet, only 4.88, 5.13's.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 PM
-

It Feels like with 35"'s ill be spending alot more money:
Gas
Bigger Lift
Gears
Spacers
Tires

and im a little for settleing down for 33"
Less Gas > 35's
Lift
Tires

but deep down i know if you want ride good, its going to cost ya.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Caboose
It Feels like with 35"'s ill be spending alot more money:
Gas
Bigger Lift
Gears
Spacers
Tires

and im a little for settleing down for 33"
Less Gas > 35's
Lift
Tires

but deep down i know if you want ride good, its going to cost ya.
then go cheap 33's, no lift, spacers or rims of choice.
savings account to add cash to for the Jeep and when the tires go bald get 35-37/gears/lift/whatever
Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok, this thread is mostly for people with 35's and 37's.

I have 33" and not planning to go bigger than that (with 4.10 ratio). Do you think 4.88 will be too much for 33" (engine revving to high all the time)? I'm planning to add rock slider / bumpers (front and rear) in the future, and i'm sure with all of those weight, the power will suffer a bit.

Any advise would be appreciated
Old 06-09-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bim6180
ok, this thread is mostly for people with 35's and 37's.

I have 33" and not planning to go bigger than that (with 4.10 ratio). Do you think 4.88 will be too much for 33" (engine revving to high all the time)? I'm planning to add rock slider / bumpers (front and rear) in the future, and i'm sure with all of those weight, the power will suffer a bit.

Any advise would be appreciated
a low range transfer case gear set when available would do you better. in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
a low range transfer case gear set when available would do you better. in my opinion.
Oh shoot not more opinions again
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default i did the 4:88 with 35s

I went with the 4:88. I have a Unlimited Sahara that is an automatic. I also have 35" Toyo MT. I initially wanted the 5:13 and actually called to order them but Superior talked me out of them and into the 4:88. I went with the 5:13 anyway. The shop I went through then suggested I do the 4:88 because of the way the teeth matched up-long story short I went with the 4:88s.

Result: I am happy for the most part. I mainly drive on the highway and in town. Anytime i need more power I hit off the OD button. This is a rare occasion except when attempting a large hill at freeway speeds. Part of me still wishes I could have tested the 5:13s to see if there is a big difference. I felt, based on what I learned from Superior and the Install shop I made the safe decision. Offroad-I am plenty happy. Once you are in 4-low I don't think there is that much difference.

If you have specific questions about my experience feel free to contact me.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Im going 5:13 with 37s and an AUTO. From what I read, this should be perfect.

Quick Reply: what gear ratio 488 or 513 ?