Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Fluid type in my Dana 30 differential and how much?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new gears are currently being broken in, but in a couple of hundred miles I'll be switching out the fluid.

I have a few quarts of Mobil 1 75W-140 sitting in my garage just waiting
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude, why the heck is gear oil so expensive?

just but two quarts of royal purple and it was 18 bucks each? the other brands were only a dollar or two behind that....

I never knew it was that much....

also, how many miles should fluid be replaced if you only do mild off roading?

thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need to use a limited slip additive if u have a LSD in the rear and use a dino/non-synthetic gear oil

If you use a synthetic gear lube then u don't need to put in the additive.

As for the intervals I would base it off your driving habits. I went with Amsoil 75w90 for both the front and rear diffs at 17k.

There was a noticable difference in the color of the fluid from the front compared to the rear since I rarely get to put her in 4wd.

From now on I'll change my rear fluid out every 10k and the front between 15k and 20k.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

i got my diif covers in today from solid. got 2 for the price of 1. a d30 up front and a d44 in the back. my question is they both came with rtv sealant, can i use that in leu of a gasket or do i put that on a gasket? also how much oil goes into a d44? sorry didn't mean to hijack
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.375 quarts in the rear dana 44.

I used the locker gasket in leu of the rtv.. it is reusable and does not have to be scraped off and reapplied like rtv..

do not use both though.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RyanBlack321
2.375 quarts in the rear dana 44.

I used the locker gasket in leu of the rtv.. it is reusable and does not have to be scraped off and reapplied like rtv..

do not use both though.
just a regular old d30 and d44 gasket from the autozone will do fine?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, why the heck is gear oil so expensive?

just but two quarts of royal purple and it was 18 bucks each? the other brands were only a dollar or two behind that....

I never knew it was that much....

also, how many miles should fluid be replaced if you only do mild off roading?

thanks
I change mine at least once/year regardless of how many miles. I will change twice a year if I have done lots of mudding and water crossings to just be safe. It is cheap insurance and very, very easy to change out. If I notice I have some water contamination I will take the diff cover off and spray it clean with brake cleaner to ensure it's all clean!

Also, if you like to play in the mud and water....make sure you extend your Breather Tubes!

Originally Posted by tommyluv78
i got my diif covers in today from solid. got 2 for the price of 1. a d30 up front and a d44 in the back. my question is they both came with rtv sealant, can i use that in leu of a gasket or do i put that on a gasket? also how much oil goes into a d44? sorry didn't mean to hijack
RTV is just fine....take your stock diff cover off make sure you have some brake cleaner to clean off the old RTV and spray inside the diff to clean it up really good.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonG
You use 75w-90 huh?
Yep. Went by the write-up and never even noticed that it's different than what the owner's manual calls for.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

2... I used the locker gasket in leu of the rtv.. it is reusable and does not have to be scraped off and reapplied like rtv.. do not use both though.
I'll bet that you mean LubeLocker gaskets. At least that's what I use--makes an easy job even easier.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

can i use 75w-90 in both my d30 and d44? also can you over fill the diff? does it need to come up to the fill hole?

Quick Reply: What Fluid type in my Dana 30 differential and how much?