Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What else to upgrade for 37's besides front axle?

Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 12JKjeep
yeah I thought about it but $2k is a lot rite now. Hopefully I'll be ok for the first year without it.
When you're ready for it, check out the Redneck Ram at West Texas Offroad. Or if you are looking at a synergy flip, they also have a upper trackbar brace / sector shaft brace to stiffen it up.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf

When you're ready for it, check out the Redneck Ram at West Texas Offroad. Or if you are looking at a synergy flip, they also have a upper trackbar brace / sector shaft brace to stiffen it up.
I was considering the synergy sector shaft brace, but I've recently read it causes clearance issues with some spring setups.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
I was considering the synergy sector shaft brace, but I've recently read it causes clearance issues with some spring setups.
I'll be putting the synergy brace in next week. The couple examples I've seen with coil clearance issues look like a little cutting and grinding will fix it right up.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
so you send west Texas off-road your steering box and they modify it for $500 to $700? Sounds pretty good but how long does it take them to do the work and get your steering box back to you I wonder?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Haven't done this yet myself, just liked what I saw compared to the expensive PSC setup.

From a few other threads, I think it was about a one week turn-around (depending, of course) for the $500 setup using your own box. And the $700 one comes with a new gear box, and you pay a core charge which I guess is refunded when you send your stock box back? (One note here is that a few posts indicated that only certain years of JK boxes are rebuildable, and I don't recall which years, or what the specifics were.)

I have the sector shaft brace now, and haven't needed a ram for my usual offroad trails. Just keeping them in mind for if/when.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

We'll for $500 to $700 I might do that this year. You can't go wrong for the price. Thanks for letting me know about this!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

yeah I thought about it but $2k is a lot rite now. Hopefully I'll be ok for the first year without it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	549087
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	549088

Piece the kit together and tap the box yourself. I did mine with ram, mounting hardware, tabs, hoses, and a 15" dual pass cooler for $300. Best thing I've done yet.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a write up on what you had to do? Or is it pretty simple for the most part. I have no idea what I'm doing with modifying the steering box. Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have a write up on what you had to do? Or is it pretty simple for the most part. I have no idea what I'm doing with modifying the steering box. Thanks
There are write ups out there. Just google DIY hydro assist. Tapping the steering box is intimidating, but surprisingly easy. I've done it twice and the second one took me about 30 minutes (and it turned out better than the first one)
Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
There are write ups out there. Just google DIY hydro assist. Tapping the steering box is intimidating, but surprisingly easy. I've done it twice and the second one took me about 30 minutes (and it turned out better than the first one)
ok thanks for the help man!

Quick Reply: What else to upgrade for 37's besides front axle?