Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What else should be done? Installing balljoints and removing steering box.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What else should be done? Installing balljoints and removing steering box.

My Steering box is show signs of wear, leaking badly and I have a shimmy in the front end. While the Jeep is parked I am planning on replacing ball joints (synergy or alloy is my budget), both drag link ends (TRE's are new last year), and removing steering box to be sent out for rebuild. I also am picking up 2 LCA rebuild kits for the Teraflex LCA's as I was kind of negligent on greasing them. I am also planning on picking up the PSC Steering shaft brace as well.

The whole process will be over a few weekends and while I have everything apart I'd like to make sure I get whatever should be done finished up and ready for wheeling season. The budget is low so nothing crazy expensive can be done but small stuff like axle seals maybe (really I have no clue)? I'm just a DIY mechanic with not a ton of experience, but a willingness to learn and wrench on the Jeep.

My Uncle welds, I was wondering if Gussets were a smart thing to do at this point, should the axle be removed for this or can it be done on the vehicle?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

If you havent, check the track bar for ovaling. I did the grade 8 9/16" bolt replacement and mine was fairly worn for 55k miles imo
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Ir would sleeve it while the knuckle is off look intonitro sleeves
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the C gussets. I regret not doing mine when I did my ball joints.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
If you havent, check the track bar for ovaling. I did the grade 8 9/16" bolt replacement and mine was fairly worn for 55k miles imo
Did you weld on a washer to correct this? Last time I checked it it was good, but that was a year ago now.

Originally Posted by MedicJayCook
Ir would sleeve it while the knuckle is off look into nitro sleeves
Yeah, I suppose this would be the best time to do it if I wanted to get it done. And for $130 with everything ready I may just have to do this.

Originally Posted by c4bus
Do the C gussets. I regret not doing mine when I did my ball joints.
Gonna buy the kit and possibly the LCA skids as well.

Quick Reply: What else should be done? Installing balljoints and removing steering box.