Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What else to reasonably beef up front D30?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else to reasonably beef up front D30?

I have the Tera sleeves and upper C gussets on my front D30 to try and keep it alive as long as possible. Wheeling is medium as my JK is set up for expedition use mainly. The rest of the axle is stock (I also have the JKS trackbar brace). What else should I consider beefing up a bit on the axle/front end to bring remaining components in line with the more robust axle?

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kb7our
I have the Tera sleeves and upper C gussets on my front D30 to try and keep it alive as long as possible. Wheeling is medium as my JK is set up for expedition use mainly. The rest of the axle is stock (I also have the JKS trackbar brace). What else should I consider beefing up a bit on the axle/front end to bring remaining components in line with the more robust axle?

Thanks!!!!
i'm not sure why you did all that you did first being that the first thing to break if anything would be the axle shafts. needless to say, i would highly recommend picking up a set of chromo shafts.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Former Member

Yeah Chromoly shafts for sure.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i'm not sure why you did all that you did first being that the first thing to break if anything would be the axle shafts. needless to say, i would highly recommend picking up a set of chromo shafts.
WOL, I'm still trying to figure out what I would do if I was in a similar situation, so all of your input is greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't adding chromo shafts make the weak link the 4.88 gears in the D30. Would it not be smart to leave stock axle shafts because they are cheaper to replace if they break than the r & p?

I'm still learning so I look forward to reading your input.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejk09
WOL, I'm still trying to figure out what I would do if I was in a similar situation, so all of your input is greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't adding chromo shafts make the weak link the 4.88 gears in the D30. Would it not be smart to leave stock axle shafts because they are cheaper to replace if they break than the r & p?

I'm still learning so I look forward to reading your input.
personally, i have a hard time building up a dana 30 at all and if the dynatrac pro rock 44 were available sooner, i would have just saved up for it as opposed to throwing any money at my 30. but, hindsight is always 20/20. regarding your specific question, no, 4.88's would not be a weak link and they would hold up just fine. 5.13's would be pushing it though as the pinion gets to be really really small in a 30. the biggest reason to upgrade to chromo shafts is that they come with u-joints that have full circle clips and u-joint failure is the number one cause of front drive shafts breaking. full circle clips would prevent this from happening.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I have all stock front end with d30 and 35s. Looking at 37 but wanting to add something up front before hand. I am thinking gussets and front drive shaft and that's it or am I wrong here?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will want gussets, axle sleeves and chromoly shafts.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input thus far. New shafts are next in line, I just was not able to get them done with the sleeves and gussets. This will be about as far as I will go with the D30

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-14-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Blacklisted manf

Quick Reply: What else to reasonably beef up front D30?