Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What else do I need for my 4" Teraflex Long Arm Lift?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else do I need for my 4" Teraflex Long Arm Lift?

I am going to lift my current rig. I am planning on using this kit: 4" Long Arm and add the following to it:

TeraFlex Elite LCG JK 4" Long Arm Kit
Custom Driveshafts (2) and yokes (4)
ProComp 7005 17"
Mickey MTZ 35"
LoD Bumper Rear Bumper w/ Carrier, Lights, 3rd Brake Light.

I already have the D30 Gusseted and RCV instead of stock axles. I also have ARB's front and rear with the LoD front bumper.

What else do I need? I read somewhere that when I go this high, I may need a drop pitman arm? Please let me know if I am missing something on this build. I hope this is about it as I will have spent more on mods than on the actual Jeep when this is done.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you're really going to go this high up for just 35" tires? so you know, this kit will give you more like 5" of actual lift and more suited to clear 37's. if 35's is all you're wanting to run, i might recommend that you go with the TF 3" flex arm kit instead and save yourself some money. if you're still determined to get this kit and if it doesn't already come with it, i would recommend that you get the front track bar relocation bracket and drag link flip that they offer as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you're really going to go this high up for just 35" tires? so you know, this kit will give you more like 5" of actual lift and more suited to clear 37's. if 35's is all you're wanting to run, i might recommend that you go with the TF 3" flex arm kit instead and save yourself some money. if you're still determined to get this kit and if it doesn't already come with it, i would recommend that you get the front track bar relocation bracket and drag link flip that they offer as well.
I think 35's are as big as I want (plus I have D30), I have read here that going Long Arm is the right way to go for clearance and smoothness of ride and the price difference is only a couple of hundred bucks for the 4" vs. 3" Long Arm. The Flex Arm kit you are talking about is this one?

I do not want to go way high for 35's. What I want is enough clearance for no rub at full stuff and a smooth on road ride. I also wheel ~ once a month, and I want to keep up with my TJ friends with 35's and 6" Long Arms.

If the Flex Arm kit will accomplish that and save me $2k, that might be the best way to go.

Edit: Oh, I think you mean this kit. Will that accomplish my goals without being way too tall for 35's? It will be about $1000 less, plus less installation cost.

Please advise.

Last edited by Torrin; 02-09-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrin
I think 35's are as big as I want (plus I have D30), I have read here that going Long Arm is the right way to go for clearance and smoothness of ride and the price difference is only a couple of hundred bucks for the 4" vs. 3" Long Arm. The Flex Arm kit you are talking about is this one?

I do not want to go way high for 35's. What I want is enough clearance for no rub at full stuff and a smooth on road ride. I also wheel ~ once a month, and I want to keep up with my TJ friends with 35's and 6" Long Arms.

If the Flex Arm kit will accomplish that and save me $2k, that might be the best way to go.

Edit: Oh, I think you mean this kit. Will that accomplish my goals without being way too tall for 35's? It will be about $1000 less, plus less installation cost.

Please advise.
when you get up to 4"+ of lift or taller, your suspension geometry start to get off enough that you can feel the effects of it. at this point, long arms are nice to have as they help restore your suspension geometry to being closer to stock. having said that, 4"+ is way more lift than you need to effectively clear just 35's and so yes, i would recommend just going the 3" flex arm route (the later link you posted) as it will give you what you need and will save you quite a bit of money. at 3", the control arms you get with this kit will be sufficiently long enough to keep your ride nice and being that they are adjustable, you can use them to help dial in your ride. if it doesn't come with it, i would highly recommend that you get the adjustable front track bar with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I think the 4" LCG looks better/is designed for use with 37"s. FYI, Northridge4x4 is also a forum sponsor and David is running a great deal with his Teraflex kits right now. I just ordered my kit from him today.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Menard666
I agree, I think the 4" LCG looks better/is designed for use with 37"s. FYI, Northridge4x4 is also a forum sponsor and David is running a great deal with his Teraflex kits right now. I just ordered my kit from him today.
Most of the stuff listed in my signature line I got from David.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
when you get up to 4"+ of lift or taller, your suspension geometry start to get off enough that you can feel the effects of it. at this point, long arms are nice to have as they help restore your suspension geometry to being closer to stock. having said that, 4"+ is way more lift than you need to effectively clear just 35's and so yes, i would recommend just going the 3" flex arm route (the later link you posted) as it will give you what you need and will save you quite a bit of money. at 3", the control arms you get with this kit will be sufficiently long enough to keep your ride nice and being that they are adjustable, you can use them to help dial in your ride. if it doesn't come with it, i would highly recommend that you get the adjustable front track bar with it.
Thanks Eddie, I will think about this, though I think your recommendation is likely the best way to go on this. I am glad I asked before I pulled the trigger!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always upgrade later to SpeedBumps and ELKA/Fox shocks for either kit. Thanks for choosing TeraFlex.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torrin

I do not want to go way high for 35's. What I want is enough clearance for no rub at full stuff and a smooth on road ride. I also wheel ~ once a month, and I want to keep up with my TJ friends with 35's and 6" Long Arms........
The beauty of the JK is you don't need as much lift as a TJ does. I agree with the other suggestions you have received concerning the 3" lift.

I'm old school also and did not want any rubbing. Another alternative you have is install the 3" lift and then if you do need more clearance add a 1" body lift. This is a good one because it keeps the mass low, current PC term is LCG, and cheaper than a 4" suspension lift.

Either way you choose you will have no problem keeping up with your friends, well that is up to your skill .
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
The beauty of the JK is you don't need as much lift as a TJ does. I agree with the other suggestions you have received concerning the 3" lift.

Either way you choose you will have no problem keeping up with your friends, well that is up to your skill .

Thanks for the input, and as far as the skill question goes, I have two basic laws:

1) Better Gear
2) Lots of Skinny Pedal

(Okay, with a D30 and where I wheel, not as much skinny pedal as I would like.)

Quick Reply: What else do I need for my 4" Teraflex Long Arm Lift?