Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what donor engine do I need?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what donor engine do I need?

next on the build list is a 6.4 hemi swap into my 2012 JKU. I have a 3.6 with W5A580 auto transmission. need to know what vehicle i need to pull the 6.4 out of, that will bolt up to the W5A580 transmission.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at an LS swap? The feedback on those seems to be more positive and they are lighter. Also seems like an LS can be done for less money.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Have you looked at an LS swap? The feedback on those seems to be more positive and they are lighter. Also seems like an LS can be done for less money.
yes I have. thanks for the recommendation. that being said, my original question still stands.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong, but I'm sure you need a new transmission when you do a Hemi swap...
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

the newer 5.7 and 6.4 both use the w5a580 auto trans in various vehicles. the same trans thats in the 3.6 unless im mistaken. im pretty sure i read that this transmission mates right up. would really like someone who knows for sure to respond. dont need opinions, "maybes", or "i think..." would really just like someone who knows for sure what engine i need and what transmission i need IF in fact i need a new one, which im almost certain i do not.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmatta33
the newer 5.7 and 6.4 both use the w5a580 auto trans in various vehicles. the same trans thats in the 3.6 unless im mistaken. im pretty sure i read that this transmission mates right up. would really like someone who knows for sure to respond. dont need opinions, "maybes", or "i think..." would really just like someone who knows for sure what engine i need and what transmission i need IF in fact i need a new one, which im almost certain i do not.
With that being said, call DODGE.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
With that being said, call DODGE.
yeah why would I ask a question about this on a Jeep forum? thanks for trolling and again, thanks for the nonsense that in no way answers my original question. its really not that much to ask for. for the guys that have already done a 6.4 swap, what vehicles and what year ranges did you pull from that will work with the W5A580 transmission. dont need write ups or price quotes or how to's. just need to know what engine will work with this transmission. i dont need advice on LS swaps. i dont need a review for AEV, BOR, or Bruiser conversions or JSS. if you want to PM me to tell me im a douche or whatever go ahead thats fine. but the point of this forum is to ask questions and to learn from each others experiences and share knowledge. so i personally dont think im "out of line" when i ask a question that i KNOW can easily be answered by the slew of forum members that have already done this swap.

so with all that said, if you can help that would be awesome. if you cannot then thank you for your opinions, comments, and conjecture but it really isnt needed or wanted for that matter.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^ I'll be the first to say it, this guy is a douche.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AirForceMike
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirForceMike
lol says the guy that joined the Air Force. this forum is a joke. there is not a thread on here that doesnt take 10 pages of sifting through sh!t to try and find anything related to the original post. its simple really. when someone asks a question I KNOW the answer to, I respond with an answer to their question. it makes things easy and it makes things easier to search.

Quick Reply: what donor engine do I need?