Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what does the optimal lift consist of

Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does the optimal lift consist of

so here is the question for a 4 dr wanting a 2.5 inch lift what does th optical kit concept of,. let me clarify
the purpose is to gain minor height for bigger tires ( 35) and more ground clearance but not too high
improve ride over stutter bump trails
and improve up travel and droop
So i know you need at least adjustable track bars cols decent longer travel shocks longer brake lines and ?
but what other elements do you need a drag link steering correction drive shaft?

and what kits in general are out there that supply all of these components
I think rock krawler and aev and may be OME these others?
mopar?

what parts to stay away from
Old 06-14-2015, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too me a good lift consists of control arms (all 8), coils, front and rear Trac bars and brackets depending on size of lift, brake lines, sway bar links/discos, shocks.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Define Optimal. Don't just regurgitate the dictionary definition, but give us a definition that everyone here is going to agree with as it pertains to a lift... You won't find it, so how can you find an 'optimal' lift kit? Far too much opinion involved.

I will assume that you have read the sticky, and have an idea of what the various components actually do, correct? Which would mean that you also have an idea of what issues are caused by lifting, and which components fix which issues? So you should already have an opinion on which components you think you want.

Uptravel/droop will depend on shock length and bumpstop height and fender/wheel well clearance and. Probably better to not over-think this, just install whatever comes in the kit and leave it alone (unless you have contact somewhere and need to trim).

Also note that you should research the specific coils you decide on, so you have an idea of the actual lift height you might end up with. It could be 4+ inches, not 2.5.

Don't worry about a draglink flip until after it is installed and you have driven it, and see what actual height you end up with. More than likely, you will not want one with a 2.5" lift. Even if you end up higher, research them and add later if you want one.

Driveshafts longevity will depend on various factors as well. Total height, use, connected or disconnected, shock length, whatever else. Crawl underneath as part of regular maintenance to check those joints, regardless of your lift height.

A few that might interest you are the MetalCloak 2.5" arb edition or the RockKrawler 2.5" stock mod. Both are on the more basic end of the spectrum, but will work just fine. Then you can add components as you get around to it.

Quick Reply: what does the optimal lift consist of