Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What to do now?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do now?

I changed my pitman arm last night. It looked like someone had filed down the top of the splines on the arm. I didn't need a puller. The arm just fell off when I took the nut loose. The new arm seems to be on there tight. It was driving perfect until I hit the train tracks. Now my steering wheel is at 3 oclock and traction control is going crazy. I don't know what to do at this point. Everything is tourqed and the welds look good on the trackbar mounts. Any ideas because this thing is getting depressing.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

On axle side of my superlift trackbar the threads look like they have been at bottom of ocean for a 100 years. It looks in very bad shape. I am thinking that might be the problem. What do you guys think? My pitman doesn't move anymore when I grab it.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics of the components that could have shifted?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:36 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the reply. A had a few friends of mine look at it this afternoon. We put locktight on the bolt that hold the trackbar drop bracket in the pocket. Then torqued it down to 60 lbs. The mechanic who looked at it said it might be the steering gear box going out. He looked at my pitman that came off and said nothing is wrong with it. I don't have the deadspot anymore with the new pitman. Is a little bit of popping normal in a jeep with heavy wide tires? I haven't had the steering jump out anymore. i turned the corner leaving work and it popped making the steering perfect. I am beginning to think that frame bracket is weak and it pushes out when you hit rough road or the trackbar is allowing the axle to shift? I can"t see any broken welds on the trackbar. I do have alot of weight on the front of my jeep. From the winch and the stinger... What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: What to do now?